-
Police defenders of US Capitol sue to stop Trump 'slush fund'
-
The world built more coal power in 2025, but used less
-
'Their story is our story': Pigeons and humans, 3,500 years together
-
Musk's SpaceX is about to go public. Here's how it works
-
SpaceX, the sprawling company targeting the stars, Mars and an IPO
-
Musk eyes Wall Street record with SpaceX IPO
-
Fighting over a chicken in protest-hit La Paz
-
Emery urges Villa to use Europa triumph to fuel bold new era
-
US charges former Cuban president with murder as pressure builds
-
'Bohemian Rhapsody' star Malek says has Freddie Mercury 'in soul'
-
McGinn invites Prince William to join Villa's Europa celebrations
-
Zuckerberg says he feels 'weight' of Meta layoffs
-
Musk's SpaceX discloses filing for blockbuster IPO
-
Southampton lose appeal over Championship play-off removal
-
Cavs' Atkinson defends Harden, rues 'collective' defensive woes
-
Embattled Bolivia leader promises 'to listen' to protesters
-
US needs to 'put its footprint back on Greenland': Trump envoy
-
Tielemans reveals secret behind goal that inspired Villa's Europa glory
-
UN members reinforce nations' climate change obligations
-
Stylish Aston Villa win Europa League to end 30-year trophy drought
-
US needs to 'put its footprint back on Greenland': US envoy to AFP
-
Embattled Bolivia leader promises 'to listen' to protests
-
'Majority' of US Fed officials say rate hikes may be needed
-
Steelers quarterback Aaron Rodgers says 2026 his last NFL season
-
Kolkata see off Mumbai to keep IPL playoff hopes alive
-
Raul Castro: the other leader of Cuba's revolution
-
Spacey walks Cannes red carpet as comeback continues
-
US indicts former Cuban president as pressure builds
-
Ubisoft counts cost of restructuring with record annual loss
-
1996 Cuban downing of two US planes behind Raul Castro indictment
-
Silva says it's time for new Man City generation to shine
-
Airbnb expands into hotels, cars, groceries
-
Southampton appeal against Championship play-off removal for spying
-
Bolivia says protesters trying to 'disrupt democratic order'
-
Opposition backlash as Macron's choice gets nod for central bank
-
In-form Narvaez makes it three Giro stage wins
-
Mideast war drives up bond yields, budget risk
-
Ubisoft reports record annual loss after game delays, cancellations
-
Board of Peace report accuses Hamas of blocking Gaza progress
-
Boss of Germany's Commerzbank cheered as she slams UniCredit advances
-
Colosseum selfies, 'Melody' toffee and trade: Modi visits Rome
-
French presidential candidate Philippe targeted in embezzlement probe
-
UK eases sanctions on Russian jet fuel and diesel imports
-
Iran says US wants to 'start new war' after Trump threat
-
Magyar, Tusk tout Hungary's return to Europe in post-Orban era
-
Bangladesh measles deaths near 500 but vaccines offer hope
-
NATO chief says US troop withdrawals from Europe won't hurt defences
-
DR Congo Ebola risk high regionally, low worldwide: WHO
-
French lawmakers back Macron choice to run Bank of France
-
Borthwick to monitor Lawes as England great targets Test recall
Ex-pope Benedict under scrutiny in German child abuse probe
A potentially explosive report into the handling of child sex abuse in the Catholic Church will on Thursday be published in Germany, with former pope Benedict XVI among those in the spotlight.
The report by law firm Westpfahl Spilker Wastl (WSW) will analyse how abuse cases were dealt with in the archdiocese of Munich and Freising between 1945 and 2019.
The Munich archdiocese, which commissioned the report, said it will examine "whether those responsible complied with legal requirements... and acted appropriately in dealing with suspected cases and possible perpetrators".
Ex-pope Benedict -- whose civilian name is Josef Ratzinger -- was the archbishop of Munich from 1977 to 1982.
During this time, a now notorious paedophile priest named Peter Hullermann was transferred to Munich from Essen in western Germany where he had been accused of abusing an 11-year-old boy.
Hullermann was reassigned to pastoral duties despite his history.
In 1986, by which time Ratzinger had been transferred to the Vatican, he was convicted of molesting more children and given a suspended prison sentence.
Even after the conviction, he continued to work with children for many years and his case is regarded as a pertinent example of the mishandling of abuse by the Church.
Benedict has denied knowing about the priest's history.
- 82-page statement -
The ex-pope has provided an 82-page statement in response to questions from WSW, according to German media reports.
The pope emeritus "takes the fates of the abuse victims very much to heart" and is fully "in favour of the publication of the Munich report", his spokesman Georg Gaenswein told the Bild daily.
Benedict, 94, in 2013 became the first pope ever to step down from the role in 600 years and now lives a secluded life in a former convent inside the grounds of the Vatican.
The reformist Catholic group "Wir sind Kirche" (We are Church) called on the ex-pontiff to take responsibility for what happened while he was in charge of the Munich diocese.
"An admission by Ratzinger that through his actions or inactions, knowledge or ignorance, he was personally and professionally complicit in the suffering of many young people would be... an example for many other bishops and responsible persons," it said in a statement.
Germany's Catholic Church has been rocked by a string of reports in recent years that have exposed widespread abuse of children by clergymen.
A study commissioned by the German Bishops' Conference in 2018 concluded that 1,670 clergymen in the country had committed some form of sexual attack against 3,677 minors between 1946 and 2014.
- 'Systemic failure' -
However, the real number of victims is thought to be much higher.
Another report published last year exposed the scope of abuse committed by priests in Germany's top diocese of Cologne.
Cardinal Reinhard Marx, the current archbishop of Munich and Freising, last year offered Pope Francis his resignation over the church's "institutional and systemic failure" in its handling of child sex abuse scandals.
However, Pope Francis rejected his offer, urging the cardinal known for his reforms to stay and help shape change in the Catholic Church.
As archbishop in Munich since 2007, Marx could also find himself under scrutiny in the WSW report.
Friedrich Wetter, who held the role from 1982 to 2007, is also still alive.
The abuse scandal has thwarted the Catholic Church's efforts to spearhead broad reforms in Germany.
It counted 22.2 million members in 2020 and is still the largest religion in the country, but the number is 2.5 million fewer than in 2010 when the first major wave of paedophile abuse cases came to light.
Payouts for victims of abuse were increased in 2020 to up to 50,000 euros ($56,700), from around 5,000 euros previously, but campaigners say the sum is still inadequate.
Ahead of the publication of the Munich report, the Eckiger Tisch victims' group called for "compensation instead of hollow words".
"Far too many children and young people have fallen victim" to a system "shaped by abuse of power, intransparency and despotism", said Matthias Katsch, a spokesman for the group.
F.Wilson--AT