-
Brumbies confident of snapping 26-year Christchurch drought
-
Penge and Bridgeman share Riviera lead with McIlroy in hot pursuit
-
Australia blow as goalkeeper Micah ruled out of Women's Asian Cup
-
Brazil, India eye critical minerals deal as leaders meet
-
Political drama overshadows Berlin Film Festival finale
-
Battered by Gaza war, Israel's tech sector in recovery mode
-
Hurricanes rue injury to Super Rugby playmaker Cameron
-
Wallabies winger Jorgensen turns on magic for NSW Waratahs
-
Trump imposes 10% global tariff after stinging court rebuke
-
Floyd Mayweather to come out of retirement
-
Xbox boss Phil Spencer retires as Microsoft shakes up gaming unit
-
158 giant tortoises reintroduced to a Galapagos island
-
What's next after US Supreme Court tariff ruling?
-
Canada and USA to meet in ice hockey gold medal showdown at Winter Olympics
-
Jake Paul requires second jaw surgery after Joshua knockout
-
'Boldly headbang': Star Trek's Shatner, 94, unveils metal album
-
Marseille lose first Ligue 1 game of Beye era
-
Police battle opposition protesters in Albanian capital
-
Austria snowstorm leaves five dead, road and power chaos
-
Trump unleashes personal assault on 'disloyal' Supreme Court justices
-
'Not the end': Small US firms wary but hopeful on tariff upheaval
-
US freeskier Ferreira completes Olympic set with halfpipe gold
-
US freestyle skier Ferreira wins Olympic halfpipe gold
-
Svitolina edges Gauff to set up Pegula final in Dubai
-
'Proud' Alcaraz digs deep to topple Rublev and reach Qatar final
-
UK govt considers removing ex-prince Andrew from line of succession
-
New study probes why chronic pain lasts longer in women
-
Trump vows 10% global tariff after stinging court rebuke
-
Aston Martin in disarray as Leclerc tops F1 testing timesheets
-
Venus Williams accepts Indian Wells wild card
-
Anxious Venezuelans seek clarity on new amnesty law
-
Last-gasp Canada edge Finland to reach Olympic men's ice hockey final
-
Scotland captain Tuipulotu grateful for Wales boss Tandy's influence
-
Zelensky says no 'family day' in rare personal interview to AFP
-
Zelensky tells AFP that Ukraine is not losing the war
-
Sweden to play Switzerland in Olympic women's curling final
-
Counting the cost: Minnesota reels after anti-migrant 'occupation'
-
UK police probe Andrew's protection as royals reel from ex-prince's arrest
-
Doris says Ireland must pile pressure on England rising star Pollock
-
US military assets in the Middle East
-
Neymar hints at possible retirement after World Cup
-
Stocks rise after court ruling against US tariffs
-
Australia end dismal T20 World Cup by thrashing Oman
-
Olympics chief says Milan-Cortina has set new path for Games
-
Russian SVR spy agency took over Wagner 'influence' ops in Africa: report
-
US Supreme Court strikes down Trump global tariffs
-
Pegula fights back to sink Anisimova and reach Dubai final
-
Trump administration denounces 'terrorism' in France after activist's killing
-
Colombia's Medellin builds mega-prison inspired by El Salvador's CECOT
-
German broadcaster recalls correspondent over AI-generated images
Penge and Bridgeman share Riviera lead with McIlroy in hot pursuit
Marco Penge and Jacob Bridgeman fired impressive seven-under par 64s on Friday to share the US PGA Tour Genesis Invitational halfway lead, one stroke in front of world number two Rory McIlroy.
England's Penge posted seven birdies without a bogey on the way to a 12-under par total of 130 at Riviera Country Club, where Bridgeman birdied the last three holes to join him.
Northern Ireland star McIlroy, who completed his career Grand Slam with a Masters victory last year, was snapping at their heels after a six-under par 65 that featured an eagle and four birdies.
Meanwhile world number one Scottie Scheffler made the cut by the skin of his teeth to push his streak of cuts made to 68 -- the longest active streak on the PGA Tour.
"I think my driving has been kind of the way I normally drive the ball. It's definitely the best part of my game by far," said Penge, a 27-year-old from England who won three times on the DP World Tour last year to head the group of 10 players from the circuit who secured dual membership on the US tour this year.
"But the way I putted, you know, especially inside 10 feet, and my pace behind it has been really on point."
Penge, Bridgeman and McIlroy were among the four players who emerged from the weather-hit first round sharing the lead on five-under. McIlroy and Bridgeman finished their rounds on Thursday, while Penge and Aaron Rai had to pull double-duty on Friday.
"I think I just managed it really well today," said Penge, who birdied the first and sixth before five birdies on the back nine, starting with a 22-foot birdie putt at the 12th.
He got up and down from a greenside bunker for birdie at 17, and even after the long day wasn't feeling tired.
"I think when you're playing well and kind of up at the top of the leaderboard, I think you can kind of keep going," he said.
Bridgeman, chasing his first tour title, opened with a 34-foot eagle putt at the first and added seven birdies the rest of the way. That included a three-birdie burst at nine, 10 and 11 and, after a bogey at 12, birdies at 16, 17 and 18.
"I'm excited," said Bridgeman, who finished tied for eighth at Pebble Beach last week. "I'm excited to be back in the hunt trying to get a win."
- Tidying up -
McIlroy, whose Pebble Beach bid was doomed by a raft of mistakes, was delighted to post a bogey-free round.
"No bogeys is always nice," McIlroy said. "Making one bogey through the first 36 holes compared to the big numbers I had last week ... Tidied everything up, which is good."
"Overall really pleased with the day and excited for the weekend."
Scheffler was less pleased with his work so far but certainly pumped to be heading into the weekend after drilling a seven-foot par-saving putt on 18 to make the cut without a stroke to spare.
"I tried to make a mess of a pretty basic chip there on 18," Scheffler said. "So it was nice to be able to hole a putt and get another two cracks at the course."
Scheffler carded a three-under 68 for an even par total and now hasn't missed a cut since August 2022.
However, since marching to a season-opening win at La Quinta last month the four-time major-winner has had to battle to keep his streak alive.
His three-over par first round at Riviera marked the third straight event in which he was over par through 18 holes.
K.Hill--AT