-
McIlroy questions LIV stars 'value' as talk of PGA return builds
-
Honduras places 80% of country on El Nino drought alert
-
'Breakthrough' mRNA cancer drug curbs melanoma in large trial
-
Some of Meta's safety tools were 'designed to fail': witness
-
Many US Fed policymakers back interest rate hikes if inflation stays high
-
PSG Ligue 1 opener moved over state of Parc des Princes pitch
-
Robinson and Tongue star as Pakistan collapse in England opener
-
UK PM launches bid to help homeless, donating part of his wages
-
All Blacks must get 'everything right' to beat Springboks, says legend Fitzpatrick
-
Golden Shoe winner Kane hopes for Ballon d'Or after 'best season ever'
-
Robinson and Tongue star as Pakistan all out for 171 in England opener
-
Kyiv's ex-defence chief makes risky bet by venturing into electoral grounds
-
Lake Zurich sees water level hit record low amid drought
-
Coventry have survival inspiration says Lampard
-
Merck and Moderna's tailored cancer drug curbs melanoma recurrence in trial
-
Reijnders leaves Man City for Saudi's Al Qadsiah
-
Referees chief Webb wants clamp-down on Premier League set-piece grappling
-
Trump says will meet North Korea's Kim later this year
-
Robinson makes history as Pakistan collapse against England
-
Stocks waver, dollar drops as US Treasury moves to lower bond yields
-
Alvarez can win back Atletico fans in two games: club chief
-
France recalls rare disease drug Tavneos after deaths
-
Oldest human brain cells grown in lab 'recorded passage of time'
-
Arsenal agree to sign Villa defender Konsa: reports
-
7,300 excess deaths and counting in France's historically hot summer
-
Evacuation orders lifted in Belgian wildfire zone
-
Ukraine MPs approve new defence minister after divisive reshuffle
-
UK media skewered for 'hounding' black academic
-
North Korea leader's sister says 'unaware' of reported Kim-Trump communication
-
More than 7,300 excess deaths in France's historically hot summer so far
-
Russia, Ukraine exchange 103 captured soldiers each
-
US socialists score shock Florida win as Trump picks stumble
-
Sainz signs new contract with F1 team Williams
-
Iran warns Gulf countries against helping US after UAE cuts trade ties
-
Playing at Real Madrid 'not for everyone': Bernardo Silva
-
Senior FIFA official withdraws support from embattled Infantino
-
As election nears, Israelis fear polarisation could spark violence
-
Lawson replaces injured Hadjar for Red Bull at Dutch GP
-
Bayern's Hoeness 'speechless' after second Musiala collapse
-
Robots sort packages and serve fast food at Beijing showcase
-
Reijnders leaves Man City for Saudi's Al Qadsiah: source
-
Leeds sign Swiss defender Elvedi from Monchengladbach
-
Arsenal chief expects Arteta to sign new contract 'very shortly'
-
Robinson double rocks Pakistan in first Test before rain stops play
-
Oil rises, stocks waver amid tech sell-off
-
Queen Camilla says was 'difficult' keeping King Charles' cancer private
-
Belgian fire of the century 'encircled' but fight goes on
-
UK PM launches bid to get rough sleepers off streets by Christmas
-
Japan target record medal haul at home Asian Games
-
England bowl against Pakistan in first Test of post-Bazball era
De Minaur scraps past local legend van de Zandschulp
Australian Alex de Minaur had to dig deep Friday with a battling performance to sneak past local hero Botic van de Zandschulp and book his place in the Rotterdam Open semi-final.
The top-seeded 26-year-old displayed his fighting qualities to see off a spirited challenge from the world number 65, who had never made the quarter-finals of his "home" tournament.
"Yeah, a battle. It was nothing short of that. It was topsy-turvy but a huge mental effort from my part," said de Minaur after his 3-6, 7-6 (7/4), 7-5 victory.
"This match was all about trying to dig in, find a way and if you hang in long enough, you can get there," he said.
Van de Zandschulp had never beaten the world number eight, but delighted the Rotterdam crowd by taking the first set 6-3, helped by winning nearly 90 percent of his first-service points.
The Dutchman had a chance to take a stranglehold on the match in the crucial seventh game of the second set, but squandered a break point with an ill-judged drop shot, allowing de Minaur to hold serve.
The set eventually went to a tie-break, which De Minaur took 7-4, helped by a Van de Zandschulp double fault and some solid serving of his own.
To groans around the Rotterdam Ahoy Arena, van de Zandschulp dumped a backhand into the net to concede the second set and set up a decider.
The pair traded breaks early in the third but neither was able to seize the initiative until 5-5 when De Minaur capitalised on a simple backhand volley error by the Dutchman to break serve.
That gave him the chance to close out the set 7-5 and the match, as his valiant opponent hit a tired-looking backhand into the bottom of the net.
- 'Find my range' -
"I would love to hit the ball a little bit cleaner and find my range," said De Minaur, who admitted he was "too negative" with himself throughout the match.
De Minaur is hoping to make it third time lucky in Rotterdam after losing in the final the last two years to the world's top two, Carlos Alcaraz and Jannik Sinner.
His chances this year have been boosted by the fact neither is playing. Alcaraz withdrew on the eve of the tournament after his epic efforts to win the Australian Open.
Awaiting De Minaur in the semis is Frenchman Ugo Humbert who despatched Australian qualifier Christopher O'Connell with relative ease 6-4, 6-1.
On the other half of the draw, second seeded Felix Auger-Aliassime from Canada also faces local talent in Tallon Griekspoor.
In the other quarter-final third-seeded Alexander Bublik of Kazakhstan takes on Jaume Munar from Spain.
A.Moore--AT