-
Manifesto defends Germany's iconic Bauhaus against 'populist attacks'
-
Walmart reports mixed results as gas prices drag on US sales growth
-
Kenya's Kipyegon ends season with hamstring injury
-
Wang downs Sindhu to break Indian hearts at badminton worlds
-
Nord Stream bomb suspect arrested while working on movie about attack: media
-
As Europe's rivers recede, shippers scramble to limit damage
-
German football fans plan widespread VAR protests
-
Alonso won't confirm Fernandez will remain at Chelsea after Man City link
-
Scorching summer triggers record rockfalls in Alps, scientist says
-
Milky Way's fastest star discovered spinning around black hole
-
Newly-crowned European champ Werro turns focus on 800m record
-
Kanye West planned concerts trigger frenzy in Russia
-
Hamilton 'fittest ever' as he chases eighth F1 title
-
Hungary music festival basks in post-Orban freedom
-
Stocks retreat as bond yield fears persist, oil rises
-
Vatican says 'serious concerns' over Israel-Lebanon deal implementation
-
ARKBRIDGE’s David Mali Highlights AI-Driven Risk Management at the Finance Magnates London Summit
-
Arteta confirms Arsenal want to sign defender after Konsa link
-
Zuckerberg buys Gothic castle in Ireland: spokesman
-
What's behind the UAE's decision to cut Iran trade ties?
-
Belgium's fire of the century now 'under control'
-
Barca seal Cancelo return to bolster defence
-
Evergrande's Xu Jiayin: from real-estate tycoon to life in prison
-
Germany reports record 14,000 heat-related deaths this summer
-
Spurs eyeing move for Man City's Savinho and Marmoush - reports
-
Alvarez 'focused' says new Atletico team-mate Romero
-
Springboks captain Kolisi to miss first All Blacks Test
-
West Ham warn fans about 'offensive' Solomon chant
-
Japan to launch probe for Mars moons in October: space agency
-
Huge questions loom over Prince Harry's shock return to UK
-
From beach to Bulls: relaxed Tsunoda savours rare F1 drive
-
BYDFi Joins Coinfest Asia 2026, Connecting with Institutions, Builders and Traders in Bali
-
Prince Harry: key dates in life of returning UK royal
-
Max Verstappen: Natural-born winner
-
North Korea launches missiles, Seoul says, after Trump floats Kim meet
-
Van Dijk urges Liverpool to make amends for 'unacceptable' season
-
Oil jumps on Iran war tensions, offsetting bond yield fears
-
All Blacks replace Tuipulotu with Holland for Springboks Test
-
Germany identifies far-right suspect in deadly 1970 antisemitic attack
-
Rain delays start of second day's play in England-Pakistan opener
-
PrimeXBT Expands Swap-Free Trading to PXTrader 2.0
-
Russian strikes kill 16 in Kyiv, surrounding region
-
Record number of locations in France top 40C over summer: AFP analysis
-
'It is tough': Indonesia battles wildfires, bracing for worse to come
-
Trump pledges 'economic warfare' on Iran, prompting Tehran derision
-
Seoul detects North Korean missile launches after Trump says to meet Kim
-
'Girl with a Pearl Earring' in Japan, perhaps for the last time
-
Thai, Myanmar military chiefs meet as post-coup thaw progresses
-
Russian strikes kill 13 in Kyiv, surrounding region
-
Asian stocks rally as US Treasury steps in to ease bond fears
Alcaraz sweeps into maiden Melbourne semi as Gauff gone in 59 minutes
Carlos Alcaraz warned he was improving all the time as he swept into his maiden Australian Open semi-final Tuesday and a clash with Alexander Zverev, while Ukraine's Elina Svitolina faces Aryna Sabalenka in the last four.
Spanish world number one Alcaraz silenced a partisan Melbourne crowd in brushing aside home hope Alex de Minaur 7-5, 6-2, 6-1 at Rod Laver Arena.
The 22-year-old Alcaraz is yet to drop a set as he arrows in on a first Australian Open crown.
"I'm just really happy how I'm playing every match, each round my level is increasing," he said, in a warning to his rivals.
"Today I felt really comfortable, playing great tennis that I am really proud of," added Alcaraz, who had never previously gone beyond the quarter-finals in Australia in four previous visits.
The Australian Open is the only Grand Slam that Alcaraz has not won.
Should he beat Zverev and then win Sunday's final, he would surpass compatriot and legend Rafael Nadal as the youngest man to win all four majors.
Nadal was 24 when he did it.
In a statement of his own, Zverev said he was playing without pain for the first time in 12 months after last year's runner-up blasted past young American Learner Tien.
Zverev sent down 24 aces in a 6-3, 6-7 (5/7), 6-1, 7-6 (7/3) victory.
World number three Zverev is desperate to finally win a Grand Slam at age 28, having lost three major finals including being well beaten in last year's title decider by Jannik Sinner.
The German's 2025 season fell away after that, winning just one title in an injury-hit campaign and he also struggled with his mental health, taking a one-month break after losing in the first round at Wimbledon.
"The last 10 days I felt healthy, which is very nice, and pain-free, which I haven't felt in a long time. Probably in 12 months," he said after dismantling Tien.
- Gauff's epic racquet smash -
Coco Gauff folded in 59 error-strewn minutes as Svitolina set up a semi-final against Sabalenka.
Belarusian world number one Sabalenka tamed 18-year-old American Iva Jovic 6-3, 6-0 in 38C temperatures on Rod Laver Arena.
In the evening, with the roof on because of the suffocating heat, 12th seed Svitolina stunned third seed Gauff 6-1, 6-2.
Television images showed Gauff repeatedly smashing her racquet in the bowels of the stadium afterwards.
The Ukrainian, who is on a 10-match win streak after a title-winning run at Auckland this month, added: "It means the world to me."
Svitolina said she hopes her stunning upset will bring "a little light" to her fellow Ukrainians during a bitter winter under attack by Russia.
For two-time Grand Slam winner Gauff, a decade younger at 21, it was more Melbourne misery.
She has still never gone beyond the semi-finals and the nature of the loss will sting.
Gauff's serve deserted her, broken four times in the first set and twice in the second to leave her title aspirations in tatters.
She was not amused to learn that her epic racquet smash was caught by television cameras.
"I tried to go somewhere where they wouldn't broadcast it, but obviously they did," she said.
"So maybe some conversations can be had because I feel like at this tournament the only private place we have is the locker room."
In the first action of the day, Sabalenka closed in on a third Melbourne crown in just four years.
Having been stunned in last year's final by the American Madison Keys, the hard-hitting Belarusian said it was "trophy or nothing" after muscling past the supremely talented Jovic.
The quarter-finals conclude on Wednesday, with 10-time Melbourne champion Novak Djokovic and title-holder Jannik Sinner in action.
Djokovic faces Italian fifth seed Lorenzo Musetti and Sinner plays Ben Shelton of the United States.
In the women's draw, Jessica Pegula and Amanda Anisimova meet in an all-American affair and second seed Iga Swiatek faces fifth seed Elena Rybakina.
Temperatures are scheduled to be considerably cooler.
W.Nelson--AT