-
Manifesto defends Germany's iconic Bauhaus against 'populist attacks'
-
Walmart reports mixed results as gas prices drag on US sales growth
-
Kenya's Kipyegon ends season with hamstring injury
-
Wang downs Sindhu to break Indian hearts at badminton worlds
-
Nord Stream bomb suspect arrested while working on movie about attack: media
-
As Europe's rivers recede, shippers scramble to limit damage
-
German football fans plan widespread VAR protests
-
Alonso won't confirm Fernandez will remain at Chelsea after Man City link
-
Scorching summer triggers record rockfalls in Alps, scientist says
-
Milky Way's fastest star discovered spinning around black hole
-
Newly-crowned European champ Werro turns focus on 800m record
-
Kanye West planned concerts trigger frenzy in Russia
-
Hamilton 'fittest ever' as he chases eighth F1 title
-
Hungary music festival basks in post-Orban freedom
-
Stocks retreat as bond yield fears persist, oil rises
-
Vatican says 'serious concerns' over Israel-Lebanon deal implementation
-
ARKBRIDGE’s David Mali Highlights AI-Driven Risk Management at the Finance Magnates London Summit
-
Arteta confirms Arsenal want to sign defender after Konsa link
-
Zuckerberg buys Gothic castle in Ireland: spokesman
-
What's behind the UAE's decision to cut Iran trade ties?
-
Belgium's fire of the century now 'under control'
-
Barca seal Cancelo return to bolster defence
-
Evergrande's Xu Jiayin: from real-estate tycoon to life in prison
-
Germany reports record 14,000 heat-related deaths this summer
-
Spurs eyeing move for Man City's Savinho and Marmoush - reports
-
Alvarez 'focused' says new Atletico team-mate Romero
-
Springboks captain Kolisi to miss first All Blacks Test
-
West Ham warn fans about 'offensive' Solomon chant
-
Japan to launch probe for Mars moons in October: space agency
-
Huge questions loom over Prince Harry's shock return to UK
-
From beach to Bulls: relaxed Tsunoda savours rare F1 drive
-
BYDFi Joins Coinfest Asia 2026, Connecting with Institutions, Builders and Traders in Bali
-
Prince Harry: key dates in life of returning UK royal
-
Max Verstappen: Natural-born winner
-
North Korea launches missiles, Seoul says, after Trump floats Kim meet
-
Van Dijk urges Liverpool to make amends for 'unacceptable' season
-
Oil jumps on Iran war tensions, offsetting bond yield fears
-
All Blacks replace Tuipulotu with Holland for Springboks Test
-
Germany identifies far-right suspect in deadly 1970 antisemitic attack
-
Rain delays start of second day's play in England-Pakistan opener
-
PrimeXBT Expands Swap-Free Trading to PXTrader 2.0
-
Russian strikes kill 16 in Kyiv, surrounding region
-
Record number of locations in France top 40C over summer: AFP analysis
-
'It is tough': Indonesia battles wildfires, bracing for worse to come
-
Trump pledges 'economic warfare' on Iran, prompting Tehran derision
-
Seoul detects North Korean missile launches after Trump says to meet Kim
-
'Girl with a Pearl Earring' in Japan, perhaps for the last time
-
Thai, Myanmar military chiefs meet as post-coup thaw progresses
-
Russian strikes kill 13 in Kyiv, surrounding region
-
Asian stocks rally as US Treasury steps in to ease bond fears
Gauff gone in 59 minutes as Svitolina sets up Sabalenka semi-final
Coco Gauff folded in 59 error-strewn minutes as Ukraine's Elina Svitolina set up an Australian Open semi-final against Aryna Sabalenka on Tuesday, while Alexander Zverev served up a storm to blast into the last four.
Belarusian world number one Sabalenka tamed 18-year-old American Iva Jovic 6-3, 6-0 in 38C temperatures on Rod Laver Arena in Melbourne.
In the evening, with the roof on because of the suffocating heat, 12th seed Svitolina stunned third seed Gauff 6-1, 6-2 as the American imploded.
Television images showed Gauff repeatedly smashing her racquet in the bowels of the stadium afterwards.
"Very, very pleased with the tournament so far," said Svitolina, after inching closer to a maiden Grand Slam title aged 31.
The Ukrainian, who is on a 10-match win streak after a title-winning run at Auckland this month, added: "It means the world to me."
Now into a fourth major semi-final, the former world number three will re-enter the top 10 in the rankings.
"It's always been my dream to come back after maternity leave to make the top 10. Always been my goal," she said.
For two-time Grand Slam winner Gauff, a decade younger, it was more Melbourne misery.
She has still never gone beyond the semi-finals at the tournament and the nature of the loss will sting.
Gauff's serve deserted her, broken four times in the first set and twice in the second to leave her title aspirations in tatters.
Svitolina faces a severe test in Sabalenka for a place in the final.
The top seed is aiming to win a third Australian Open in four years and looks in ominous form, yet to drop a set.
Sabalenka is also on a 10-match win streak after victory in Brisbane.
"It was a tough match. Don't look at the score, it wasn't easy at all," she said after overcoming the supremely talented Jovic at the start of a brutally hot day.
The match was played in fierce sun on Rod Laver Arena and just afterwards organisers closed the roof, ensuring far more comfortable temperatures.
The decision came after the tournament hit its maximum "heat stress" rating of five for the second time in four days.
Temperatures peaked at 43C outside so play on outdoor courts, which were to host junior matches, were put on hold.
Temperatures reached 40C on Saturday, with matches on outside courts paused for about five hours.
- Zverev blasts past Tien -
Last year's runner-up Zverev sent down a barrage of 24 aces to crush another young United States player, Learner Tien, in four sets.
The German third seed faces either world number one Carlos Alcaraz or home hope Alex de Minaur in the last four.
Zverev is desperate to finally win a Grand Slam at age 28, having been well beaten in last year's title decider by Jannik Sinner.
"Without my aces I probably would not have won today," Zverev said after seeing off the spirited challenge of Tien. "Obviously very happy with my serve."
At 29 in the world, the Californian Tien was the lowest-ranked player left in the men's draw.
He was also the youngest at age 20 and was playing in the biggest match of his life, having never reached the last eight at a major before.
But he had few answers to Zverev's booming serve, the German making only one double fault in the match -- and that was on one of his match points.
The reprieve was only very temporary for Tien, who will surely come again.
Zverev and his serve await the winner of the last match of the day, when Alcaraz faces having to beat not just De Minaur but also a patriotic home crowd to make his first Australian Open semi-final.
The 22-year-old Spaniard has won six Grand Slams, but is yet to go past the last eight in Melbourne.
De Minaur has failed to make it past the quarter-finals at any Slam and is hoping the home fans can help him pull off an upset.
E.Hall--AT