-
The Hong Kong Tiananmen vigil activists convicted in national security trial
-
Australia's Hussey mulls role with England for Ashes series
-
Eel-powered Japan whizz-kid, 11, chases Asian Games history
-
Indian captain 'scapegoat' in Britain's Russia shadow fleet case, wife says
-
Asian markets extend rally as traders assess US Treasuries pledge
-
Rosenior seeks to match Paris FC's capital ambition as Ligue 1 returns
-
Barcelona enter new era as Flick targets La Liga hat-trick
-
Inter set for Serie A title defence as Milan get Amorim reboot
-
Pogacar favourite for Vuelta with Grand Tour treble in sight
-
'Greatest' Springboks face All Blacks in clash of juggernauts
-
Bangladesh coach Simmons wary of Australia backlash in second Test
-
William and Harry: Britain's warring royal brothers
-
Hong Kong Tiananmen activists to receive national security verdict
-
UN holds second informal poll for next leader
-
Who are the candidates vying to lead the UN?
-
In US mining hub, black lung rates soar
-
Swiatek into Cincinnati semis after Rybakina injury
-
Champions Arsenal embrace being 'hunted' as Premier League returns
-
University suspends academic behind Jason Arday plagiarism charges
-
World No.2 Rybakina retires from Cincinnati clash with Swiatek
-
Key European leaders demand Israel halt West Bank settlement project
-
'I heard you missed me': Melania Trump jokes about month out of spotlight
-
Kiwi Ears Stardust: The Art of Natural Balance
-
IRA-Eligible Gold: Rules, Approved Coins, and Best Gold Dealers (Guide Released)
-
McIlroy bounces back to share BMW Championship lead
-
Amazon Prime Video to invest $2 bn in Latin America productions
-
Cobolli fueled by candy in sweet defeat of Paul
-
Panama Canal to reduce shipping over El Nino-fueled drought
-
Jailed Pakistan ex-PM Khan moved to hospital on court order: party
-
Maradona trial on hold over possible medical evidence mix-up
-
Pogacar eyes 'missing' piece ahead of Vuelta return
-
'Green dilemma': China's solar boom hurt birds, says study
-
US, Canada 'very close' to trade deal, Ottawa says, as details emerge
-
Pegula hangs on to dispatch Anisimova, reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
Ronaldinho returns in search of 'beautiful' 300th goal
-
US charges woman with IS-inspired plot to blow up New York State Capitol
-
US pushes allies, China to back Trump's economic war on Iran
-
What a record-breaking El Nino could mean for the world
-
Former NBA MVP Harden reportedly set to return to Cavaliers
-
Duplantis edges Karalis to win Lausanne Diamond League pole vault
-
Brook makes Pakistan pay for drop as England dominate first Test
-
Alcaraz to return for US Open title defence
-
MemeCore Arrives on Nasdaq Through $1 Billion Landmark Treasury Transaction
-
China's rapid solar expansion hurt bird diversity: study
-
First US deportees land in Liberia
-
President Paul Biya back in Cameroon after 73 days away
-
US, Canada resume talks to finalize trade deal as details emerge
-
Newcastle boss Jaissle unfazed by lack of respect
-
Europe heatwaves scorch 80 million with 40 C heat: AFP analysis
-
US Open purse to top $100 mn as Grand Slams form player council
Morocco fans stunned, disappointed as Senegal win Africa title
Moroccan fans walked out of the Prince Moulay Abdellah Stadium in the capital Rabat in utmost despair as Senegal stunned the hosts in Sunday's Africa Cup of Nations final in an extra-time thriller.
Many of the Atlas Lions' supporters had already begun leaving the stands before the final whistle on a cold and wet night in Rabat.
"We cried in the final against Tunisia in 2004, and tonight the same scenario repeats itself. That's very hard to take," said Ismail Korradj, 30, speaking moments after the final whistle.
At a cafe in central Rabat festooned with Moroccan flags, the loss came as a major blow.
Still, Morocco "lost with their heads held high", said Laila Bourezma, 32. "The defeat leaves us with bitterness, but our players gave everything."
Oumaima Boukrab, 34, said Morocco "showed beautiful football throughout the tournament", adding: "The players were excellent. We salute them and we're proud of them."
The North African team were touching distance away from ending a 50-year curse and lifting the cup when they were awarded a controversial last-gasp penalty.
But Senegal's Edouard Mendy easily saved an audacious Panenka chip by Brahim Diaz, following a lengthy protest by the Senegalese contingent against the penalty decision that led the game being paused for nearly 20 minutes after the players walked off the pitch.
Four minutes into extra-time, Senegal scored the game's sole goal and stunned the home fans, stripping Morocco of its hopes of winning the tournament for the first time since 1976.
- 'Two African countries that won' -
Senegalese supporters gathered by the stadium after the game ended to celebrate their feat -- a second along with a title in 2021.
"We won, but Morocco is always with us, so it's two African countries that won," said 42-year-old Senegalese supporter Abdoul who did not state his last name.
The Senegalese supporters were a smaller fraction compared to the tens of thousands of Moroccans present in the total crowd of 66,526 at the stadium.
But their cheers and joy of winning were felt nonetheless.
"Today, Senegal won. Tomorrow, Morocco will win," said Salim Bom, another Senegalese supporter. "They're our brothers and they welcomed us here."
"We've been preparing for this great match for a very long time," said 43-year-old Senegalese supporter Bassirou Gueye.
"However, there's a lot of work that CAF (AFCON's organising body) needs to do regarding the referees."
When Congolese match referee Jean-Jacques Ndala gave the penalty right at the end of the game, most of the Senegalese players walked off the pitch in protest.
Some Senegalese fans at the opposite end of the stadium threw chairs and other objects and attempted to get onto the field of play.
But they were eventually contained by a large barrier of police and stewards, and their anger turned to delight and disbelief when the penalty was saved after the game restarted.
"We're so happy to have won, but it's Africa that won," said Adja Cisse, a 30-year-old Senegalese woman.
"Morocco and Senegal are brothers. The cup belongs to Senegal and Morocco. Long live Africa."
K.Hill--AT