-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
-
Pope visits San Marino, before addressing Italian political gathering
-
Australia lead by 101 in 2nd Bangladesh Test as 18 wickets fall on day one
-
Trump tariffs heap up as Canada tries to curb US reliance
-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
-
Bangladesh all out for 64 in 2nd Test after Starc masterclass
-
Sudan farms lie barren as El Nino leaves Nile banks dry
-
Odyssey effect: stars sell Greece to a new wave of US tourists
-
Arctic shipping a daunting prospect in hotly contested region
-
South Korea to send first container ship through Arctic route
-
In US, rare earths extracted from coal mine wastewater
-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
Mainoo 'being ruined' at Man Utd: Scholes
Manchester United great Paul Scholes says Kobbie Mainoo is "being ruined" by his lack of chances under Ruben Amorim, suggesting his best option is to leave Old Trafford.
The 20-year-old had a breakthrough season in 2023/24, which ended with the academy graduate scoring in the FA Cup final and breaking into the England squad.
But the midfielder has gone from starting the Euro 2024 final to struggling for game time at United.
He requested a loan move in August but was turned down.
Mainoo, still waiting for his first Premier League start of the season, was not brought off the bench in Thursday's 1-1 draw with lowly West Ham.
That disappointing result left United eighth in the Premier League ahead of Monday's trip to bottom club Wolves.
United boss Amorim said last week that he considered Mainoo "a starter", but Scholes reacted angrily in a now-deleted Instagram story that reposted the manager's quote.
"The kid is being ruined, not being played in a team that can't control a game of football," said the former United and England midfielder, who won 11 Premier League titles at Old Trafford.
"Hate seeing home-grown players leave but it's probably best for him now, enough is enough."
Mainoo's only start for United this season came in August's humiliating League Cup exit at Grimsby and Amorim's reluctance to use him has been a major talking point.
"I understand what you are saying," he told reporters on Thursday following the draw against West Ham.
"You love Kobbie. He was... he starts for England, but that doesn't mean I need to put Kobbie (in) when I feel I shouldn't put Kobbie (in), so it's my decision."
Mainoo won the last of his 10 England caps in September 2024 and appears unlikely to make Thomas Tuchel's squad for next year's World Cup.
Amorim said he understood that the lack of time on the pitch could be demoralising for the midfielder but said his target was to win matches.
"I just try to put the best players on the pitch," he said.
Pushed on whether the upcoming departures of Amad Diallo and Bryan Mbeumo for the Africa Cup of Nations could present an opportunity for Mainoo, Amorim said: "I don't know what is going to happen. It depends.
"If I see in the training it is the best thing, I will put it. That is the only way I know how to respond to that."
W.Morales--AT