-
Arsenal blow two-goal lead in damaging Wolves draw
-
Habib Beye appointed coach of Marseille
-
Sloppy Atletico held in six-goal Brugge thriller
-
Schick steers Leverkusen past Olympiacos in Champions League
-
Hogh stars as Bodo/Glimt down Inter in Champions League
-
Oil prices jump on toughening US posture on Iran as US stocks advance
-
Gu's exchange with AFP at Winter Olympics goes viral
-
Hamilton feeling 'connected' to new Ferrari car at test sessions
-
US lingerie magnate says was 'conned' by Epstein
-
Marner fires Canada into Olympic ice hockey semis, as Finland survive
-
Israel conducting 'gradual de facto annexation' of W.Bank: UN official
-
Alcaraz, Sinner cruise into Qatar Open quarter-finals
-
Mavs confirm Irving will miss rest of NBA season
-
Environmental groups sue Trump administration over scrapped climate rule
-
Major US naval, air buildup sets stage for potential Iran war
-
Eight skiers missing in California avalanche found dead
-
White House tells Iran to do deal as Trump hints at US strikes
-
Gordon scores four as Newcastle hit Qarabag for six
-
French far-right leader accuses Macron, allies of strengthening hard-left after activist killed
-
Putin says Russia 'always' stands by Cuba, slams US sanctions
-
England's Joe Heyes says Princess Anne mistook him for Joe Marler
-
Marner sends Canada through to Olympic men's ice hockey semis
-
Seattle Seahawks put up for sale after Super Bowl win
-
U2 slam ICE, Putin in new 'Days of Ash' EP
-
Berlin Film Festival rejects accusation of censorship on Gaza
-
Sinner sees off Popyrin to reach Doha quarter-finals
-
Taylor Swift bags best-selling artist of 2025 award: industry body
-
Tiberi takes UAE Tour lead from Evenepoel
-
Paris prosecutor calls on Epstein victims in France to testify
-
India tune up for Super Eights with hard-fought win over the Dutch
-
Griffin warns Wales to beware Bath team-mate Russell in Scotland clash
-
Desperate search for nine skiers missing in California avalanche
-
Six highs and lows from the 2026 Winter Olympics alpine skiing
-
Global stocks, oil rise tracking company earnings, data
-
Peru set for eighth president in a decade
-
First woman envoy for Palestine dies in France: family
-
Laser-etched glass can store data for millennia, Microsoft says
-
Intense US naval, air power buildup sets stage for potential Iran war
-
Slovakia beat Germany to reach Olympic men's ice hockey semis
-
Greece to claim Nazi atrocity photos found on Ebay: minister
-
US energy chief says IEA must 'drop' focus on climate change
-
Shiffrin remembers deceased dad after Olympic slalom gold
-
Environmental groups sue Trump administration over dismantled climate rule
-
Curling's air of gentility melts amid cheating row
-
Denmark's King Frederik in Greenland for symbolic show of support
-
Dube lifts India to 193-6 against Dutch at T20 World Cup
-
Japan's Takaichi formally reappointed as PM following election victory
-
Polish bishop goes on trial for paedophilia cover-up
-
Mikaela Shiffrin, skiing's greatest back on top of the world
-
Denmark's King Frederik X arrives in Greenland in show of support
Major US naval, air buildup sets stage for potential Iran war
The massive US military buildup in the Middle East, including warships, fighter jets, and refueling aircraft, lays the foundation for a potentially sustained campaign against Iran -- should President Donald Trump give the order.
Trump -- who ordered strikes on Iran last year -- has repeatedly threatened Tehran with further military action if ongoing talks do not reach a replacement for the nuclear deal the US president tore up in 2018, during his first term in office.
The presence of "so much firepower... in the region creates a momentum of its own," said Susan Ziadeh, a senior advisor at the Center for Strategic and International Studies.
"Sometimes that momentum is a little hard to just put the brakes on and say, that's it, we're not doing anything," Ziadeh said during a panel discussion Wednesday.
- Ships -
Washington currently has 13 warships in the Middle East: one aircraft carrier -- the USS Abraham Lincoln -- nine destroyers and three littoral combat ships, with more on the way, according to a US official.
The USS Gerald R. Ford -- the world's largest aircraft carrier -- is currently in the Atlantic Ocean en route from the Caribbean to the Middle East, after being ordered there by Trump earlier this month. It is accompanied by three destroyers.
It is rare for there to be two US aircraft carriers -- which carry dozens of warplanes and are crewed by thousands of sailors -- in the Middle East.
The United States had two of the massive warships in the region in June last year when it targeted three Iranian nuclear sites during Israel's 12-day campaign of strikes on Iran.
- Aircraft -
The United States has also sent a large fleet of aircraft to the Middle East, according to open-source intelligence accounts on X and flight-tracking website Flightradar24.
These include F-22 Raptor stealth fighter jets, F-15 and F-16 warplanes, and the KC-135 aerial refueling aircraft that are needed to sustain their operations.
On Wednesday, Flightradar24 showed multiple KC-135s flying near or in the Middle East, as well as E3 Sentry airborne warning and control aircraft and cargo planes operating in the region.
- Protests, threats, talks -
Trump ordered the Lincoln to the Middle East as Iran cracked down on protests that were initially driven by economic grievances, but which turned into a mass movement against the Islamic republic.
The clerical leadership that took power after the 1979 Islamic revolution responded to the demonstrations with deadly force and has held onto power, with many opponents of the system looking to outside intervention as the most likely driver of change.
Trump had repeatedly warned Iran that if it killed protesters, the United States would intervene militarily, and also encouraged Iranians to take over state institutions, saying "help is on the way."
He pulled back from ordering strikes last month, saying Tehran had halted more than 800 executions under pressure from Washington, but has since renewed threats against Iran.
US and Iranian officials held talks in Geneva on Tuesday aimed at averting US military intervention, with Iran saying afterward that they had agreed on "guiding principles" for a deal.
But White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt said Wednesday that while there was "a little bit of progress made," the two sides are "still very far apart on some issues."
Leavitt also told journalists there are "many reasons and arguments that one could make for a strike against Iran," adding: "Iran would be very wise to make a deal."
B.Torres--AT