-
Leeds sign Swiss defender Elvedi from Monchengladbach
-
Arsenal chief expects Arteta to sign new contract 'very shortly'
-
Robinson double rocks Pakistan in first Test before rain stops play
-
Oil rises, stocks waver amid tech sell-off
-
Queen Camilla says was 'difficult' keeping King Charles' cancer private
-
Belgian fire of the century 'encircled' but fight goes on
-
UK PM launches bid to get rough sleepers off streets by Christmas
-
Japan target record medal haul at home Asian Games
-
England bowl against Pakistan in first Test of post-Bazball era
-
ICC says US sanctions 'flagrant attack' on court independence
-
Villa sign Japanese 'keeper Suzuki, Italian defender Ruggeri
-
Kyrgios admits 'huge mistake' after failing test for cocaine
-
Injury-plagued Pogba released by Monaco
-
Europe can't afford to miss AI revolution: ECB chief
-
Japanese 'keeper Suzuki signs for Aston Villa
-
Suthar shines as India crush Sri Lanka in 600th Test
-
Paul Pogba to be released by Monaco: club
-
UK PM unveils plan to help rough sleepers off streets by Christmas
-
Texas Counseling Center Highlights the Role of Counseling in Supporting Immigration Psychological Evaluations
-
Tokyo opposes US sanctions on Japanese ICC chief Akane
-
Pakistan govt to challenge court on moving ex-PM Khan to private hospital
-
Humanoid-maker Unitree surges more than 600% on Shanghai debut
-
India four wickets away from victory in Sri Lanka Test
-
Bowling great Donald warns Bangladesh that Australia will hit back hard
-
Belgian wildfire 'encircled' but situation still 'complicated'
-
STARPRIME Completes Beta Testing of Market-Maker Model for Retail Brokers
-
Southern African mothers plead for sons lured to Russia's war
-
Campaigns kick off in Nigerian presidential race
-
Palestinian-American hoists US flag on home besieged by settlers
-
Aussie Rules club suspends five players for drinking, bringing women to hotel
-
Freedom Holding Marks New Türkiye Milestone as Freedom Yatırım Secures Brokerage License
-
Trump pauses 50% tariffs on Canadian goods for three days
-
Humanoid resources: China's robots search for workforce breakthrough
-
Five Premier League stars to watch this season
-
China goes rural with data centres in quest to power AI
-
China's robots open to opportunities in search of commercial breakthrough
-
Trump pauses planned 50% tariffs on Canadian goods for three days
-
Tech leads losses as Asian stocks track Wall St selloff
-
Ikitau, Suaalii named in Australia squad for Argentina Tests
-
US, South Korea cut drills short after Trump criticism
-
'American Doctor' shows brutality of conflict in Gaza
-
Italian scientists bet on octopus to fight crab invasion
-
New Zealand blocks lawsuits against firms over climate harm
-
New 'Insidious' reflects anxiety of being a new parent: director
-
Aussie Rules club suspends five players amid police probe
-
No.1 Sabalenka slams Wang to advance at Cincinnati
-
No.1 Sabalenka slams Wang to power ahead in Cincinnati
-
Turkey rejects Israeli claims after strike on Syria air base
-
Israel blames Turkey after strike on Syria air base
-
OSR Health Sees Global Shareholder Momentum at Critical Inflection Point
UAE slams 'dangerous escalation' after fresh attacks blamed on Iran
The United States said it had destroyed several Iranian boats on Monday and the United Arab Emirates reported fresh attacks on its territory, in the sharpest escalation since a fragile ceasefire was agreed in the Middle East war.
After US warships entered the Strait of Hormuz on Monday, President Donald Trump said Iran had "taken some shots" but caused no harm apart from damage to a South Korean vessel.
He added that US forces had "shot down" seven small Iranian military boats. A US admiral earlier said six such vessels were destroyed, but Tehran denied any had been sunk.
"The US claim that it sank a number of Iranian war boats is false," a senior Iranian military official was quoted as saying by state television.
An Israeli military official said the army remained on high alert and was monitoring the situation.
Earlier, Trump had announced a plan to guide ships from neutral countries out of the Gulf, saying it was a humanitarian effort to help their stranded crews.
Negotiations between Washington and Tehran have been deadlocked since a ceasefire in the US-Israeli war against Iran took effect on April 8, with Tehran's stranglehold on the strait a main point of contention.
But that truce was threatened Monday as fresh strikes hit the Gulf region, which has borne the brunt of Iran's attacks in response to US-Israeli strikes that sparked the Middle East war.
Two people were injured when a residential building was targeted in Oman's Bukha along the coastline of the Strait of Hormuz, state media reported.
- UAE attacks -
Meanwhile authorities in the UAE said a strike targeting an energy installation in the emirate of Fujairah injured three Indian nationals.
The UAE said an Iranian barrage had targeted the country, calling the attack a "dangerous escalation" and saying it reserved the right to respond.
It also ordered all schools to return to remote learning for the rest of the week.
"Four cruise missiles launched from Iran were detected toward various areas across the country. Three were successfully engaged over the country's territorial waters, while one fell in the sea," the defence ministry said.
A senior Iranian military official however said "the Islamic Republic had no pre-planned programme to attack the oil facilities in question, and what happened was the product of the US military's adventurism to create a passage for ships to illegally pass through... the Strait of Hormuz".
"The US military must be held accountable for it," the official added, according to state television.
Oil prices jumped on Monday following the latest developments, piling economic pressure on countries around the world including the United States.
The attacks came a day after Trump had announced the "Project Freedom" maritime operation to help trapped commercial vessels leave the Strait of Hormuz.
On Monday afternoon, CENTCOM said "guided-missile destroyers are currently operating" in the Gulf, having transited Hormuz.
The Iranian navy had "issued a warning shot by firing cruise missiles, rockets, and combat drones around the aggressor enemy vessels" in Hormuz, state television said.
CENTCOM added that, as "a first step" in Project Freedom, two "US-flagged merchant vessels" had travelled out of the Gulf.
But Iran's Revolutionary Guards denied the US statement, saying: "No commercial vessels or oil tankers have passed through the Strait of Hormuz in the past few hours."
Seoul said on Monday that an "explosion and fire" had struck a South Korean ship in the strait.
- 'Excessive demands' -
As of April 29, more than 900 commercial vessels were located in the Gulf, according to maritime intelligence firm AXSMarine.
On Monday, the UAE said Iran had fired drones at a tanker affiliated with its state-owned oil giant ADNOC.
By blocking the strait, Iran has choked off major flows of oil, gas and fertiliser to the world economy, while the United States has imposed a counter-blockade on Iranian ports.
Trump said earlier he was "fully aware that my Representatives are having very positive discussions with the Country of Iran, and that these discussions could lead to something very positive for all".
But he made no direct mention of a 14-point plan that Tehran said it put forward last week to end the war.
Speaking on Monday, Iran's foreign ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baqaei said Iran's "priority is to end the war" but blamed the US for a lack of progress.
"The other side must commit to a reasonable approach and abandon its excessive demands," he said.
He said earlier that Washington had responded to the 14-point plan in a message to Pakistani mediators.
burs/amj/jsa
Ch.P.Lewis--AT