-
Trump says will meet North Korea's Kim later this year
-
Robinson makes history as Pakistan collapse against England
-
Stocks waver, dollar drops as US Treasury moves to lower bond yields
-
Alvarez can win back Atletico fans in two games: club chief
-
France recalls rare disease drug Tavneos after deaths
-
Oldest human brain cells grown in lab 'recorded passage of time'
-
Arsenal agree to sign Villa defender Konsa: reports
-
7,300 excess deaths and counting in France's historically hot summer
-
Evacuation orders lifted in Belgian wildfire zone
-
Ukraine MPs approve new defence minister after divisive reshuffle
-
UK media skewered for 'hounding' black academic
-
North Korea leader's sister says 'unaware' of reported Kim-Trump communication
-
More than 7,300 excess deaths in France's historically hot summer so far
-
Russia, Ukraine exchange 103 captured soldiers each
-
US socialists score shock Florida win as Trump picks stumble
-
Sainz signs new contract with F1 team Williams
-
Iran warns Gulf countries against helping US after UAE cuts trade ties
-
Playing at Real Madrid 'not for everyone': Bernardo Silva
-
Senior FIFA official withdraws support from embattled Infantino
-
As election nears, Israelis fear polarisation could spark violence
-
Lawson replaces injured Hadjar for Red Bull at Dutch GP
-
Bayern's Hoeness 'speechless' after second Musiala collapse
-
Robots sort packages and serve fast food at Beijing showcase
-
Reijnders leaves Man City for Saudi's Al Qadsiah: source
-
Leeds sign Swiss defender Elvedi from Monchengladbach
-
Arsenal chief expects Arteta to sign new contract 'very shortly'
-
Robinson double rocks Pakistan in first Test before rain stops play
-
Oil rises, stocks waver amid tech sell-off
-
Queen Camilla says was 'difficult' keeping King Charles' cancer private
-
Belgian fire of the century 'encircled' but fight goes on
-
UK PM launches bid to get rough sleepers off streets by Christmas
-
Japan target record medal haul at home Asian Games
-
England bowl against Pakistan in first Test of post-Bazball era
-
ICC says US sanctions 'flagrant attack' on court independence
-
Villa sign Japanese 'keeper Suzuki, Italian defender Ruggeri
-
Kyrgios admits 'huge mistake' after failing test for cocaine
-
Injury-plagued Pogba released by Monaco
-
Europe can't afford to miss AI revolution: ECB chief
-
Japanese 'keeper Suzuki signs for Aston Villa
-
Suthar shines as India crush Sri Lanka in 600th Test
-
Paul Pogba to be released by Monaco: club
-
UK PM unveils plan to help rough sleepers off streets by Christmas
-
Texas Counseling Center Highlights the Role of Counseling in Supporting Immigration Psychological Evaluations
-
Tokyo opposes US sanctions on Japanese ICC chief Akane
-
Pakistan govt to challenge court on moving ex-PM Khan to private hospital
-
Humanoid-maker Unitree surges more than 600% on Shanghai debut
-
India four wickets away from victory in Sri Lanka Test
-
Bowling great Donald warns Bangladesh that Australia will hit back hard
-
Belgian wildfire 'encircled' but situation still 'complicated'
-
STARPRIME Completes Beta Testing of Market-Maker Model for Retail Brokers
Iran minister leaves Pakistan, heads to Russia for more talks
Iran's foreign minister departed Islamabad for Moscow on Sunday, his ministry said, ping-ponging from capital to capital as mediators hoped to keep peace talks between Tehran and the United States alive.
Abbas Araghchi sandwiched a visit to Oman's Muscat in between trips to the Pakistani capital, and was set to meet Russian President Vladimir Putin in Moscow on Monday, according to the Iranian ambassador, but there remained no indication that direct US-Iranian talks would resume.
On Saturday, US President Donald Trump scotched a planned trip to Islamabad by his negotiators Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner.
But in a sign that indirect efforts were ongoing, the Fars news agency reported that Iran had transmitted "written messages" to the Americans via mediator Pakistan that were "about some of the red lines of the Islamic Republic of Iran, including nuclear issues and the Strait of Hormuz".
Those messages were not, however, part of any negotiations, Fars said.
While a ceasefire in the US-Israeli war with Iran that began on April 8 has so far held, the economic shockwaves of the war continue to reverberate around the globe.
Iran has sealed off the Strait of Hormuz, cutting off vast quantities of oil, natural gas and fertiliser from the global market, sending prices soaring and raising fears of widespread hunger across the developing world.
There had been hopes for a new round of talks on Saturday, with Witkoff and Kushner due to visit Islamabad, but Trump later told Fox News he had scrapped the trip, saying there was no point "sitting around talking about nothing".
On Sunday, Trump told the channel: "I said, we're not doing this anymore. We have all the cards. If they want to talk, they can come to us, or they can call us, you know there is a telephone, we have nice secure lines."
The president is under growing domestic pressure, with petrol prices in the United States pushed up by Iran's closure of Hormuz and midterm elections scheduled for November.
- 'Very fruitful' -
Asked earlier whether halting the trip meant a return to open hostilities, Trump said: "No, it doesn't mean that."
Later, after a gunman was arrested at the White House Correspondents' Association dinner in Washington, Trump said he did not think the incident was related to Iran but that it would not deter him "from winning the war".
On Saturday, Araghchi met Pakistan's military chief Asim Munir, a key mediator, Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif and Foreign Minister Ishaq Dar, before flying on to Muscat, then returned to Islamabad on Sunday.
He later left for Russia, his ministry said, adding he would speak with "senior officials".
Russia's foreign ministry confirmed he would visit Moscow, but did not say if he would meet Putin.
Amid the flurry of meetings, Araghchi signalled scepticism over Washington's intentions, saying he had "yet to see if the US is truly serious about diplomacy".
- 'Definitive strategy' -
Pressure to end the war has intensified as the Strait of Hormuz remains closed.
But Iran's powerful Revolutionary Guards said they had no intention of lifting their blockade, which has roiled energy markets.
"Controlling the Strait of Hormuz and maintaining the shadow of its deterrent effects over America and the White House's supporters in the region is the definitive strategy of Islamic Iran," the Guards said on their official Telegram channel.
The United States has imposed a blockade of Iranian ports in retaliation.
In a statement carried by state media, Iran's military warned that continued US "blockading, banditry and piracy" would draw a response.
- Israel strikes Lebanon -
On the war's Lebanese front, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu ordered strikes on Hezbollah and accused the Iran-backed group of violating a ceasefire that was extended this week.
"It must be understood that Hezbollah's violations are, in practice, dismantling the ceasefire," Netanyahu said, during Sunday's weekly cabinet meeting.
Hezbollah itself said it would respond to Israeli ceasefire violations and its "continued occupation of Lebanese territory".
Lebanese official media said Israel's military began striking the country's south after issuing an evacuation warning for seven locations, despite the ceasefire with the Iran-backed group.
"Israeli warplanes launched a strike" in Kfar Tibnit -- one of the locations included in the warning -- the state-run National News Agency said, adding that there were reports of casualties.
Under the terms of the ceasefire, Israel reserves the right to act against "planned, imminent or ongoing attacks".
burs/dcp/smw
N.Mitchell--AT