-
UK PM launches bid to help homeless, donating part of his wages
-
All Blacks must get 'everything right' to beat Springboks, says legend Fitzpatrick
-
Golden Shoe winner Kane hopes for Ballon d'Or after 'best season ever'
-
Robinson and Tongue star as Pakistan all out for 171 in England opener
-
Kyiv's ex-defence chief makes risky bet by venturing into electoral grounds
-
Lake Zurich sees water level hit record low amid drought
-
Coventry have survival inspiration says Lampard
-
Merck and Moderna's tailored cancer drug curbs melanoma recurrence in trial
-
Reijnders leaves Man City for Saudi's Al Qadsiah
-
Referees chief Webb wants clamp-down on Premier League set-piece grappling
-
Trump says will meet North Korea's Kim later this year
-
Robinson makes history as Pakistan collapse against England
-
Stocks waver, dollar drops as US Treasury moves to lower bond yields
-
Alvarez can win back Atletico fans in two games: club chief
-
France recalls rare disease drug Tavneos after deaths
-
Oldest human brain cells grown in lab 'recorded passage of time'
-
Arsenal agree to sign Villa defender Konsa: reports
-
7,300 excess deaths and counting in France's historically hot summer
-
Evacuation orders lifted in Belgian wildfire zone
-
Ukraine MPs approve new defence minister after divisive reshuffle
-
UK media skewered for 'hounding' black academic
-
North Korea leader's sister says 'unaware' of reported Kim-Trump communication
-
More than 7,300 excess deaths in France's historically hot summer so far
-
Russia, Ukraine exchange 103 captured soldiers each
-
US socialists score shock Florida win as Trump picks stumble
-
Sainz signs new contract with F1 team Williams
-
Iran warns Gulf countries against helping US after UAE cuts trade ties
-
Playing at Real Madrid 'not for everyone': Bernardo Silva
-
Senior FIFA official withdraws support from embattled Infantino
-
As election nears, Israelis fear polarisation could spark violence
-
Lawson replaces injured Hadjar for Red Bull at Dutch GP
-
Bayern's Hoeness 'speechless' after second Musiala collapse
-
Robots sort packages and serve fast food at Beijing showcase
-
Reijnders leaves Man City for Saudi's Al Qadsiah: source
-
Leeds sign Swiss defender Elvedi from Monchengladbach
-
Arsenal chief expects Arteta to sign new contract 'very shortly'
-
Robinson double rocks Pakistan in first Test before rain stops play
-
Oil rises, stocks waver amid tech sell-off
-
Queen Camilla says was 'difficult' keeping King Charles' cancer private
-
Belgian fire of the century 'encircled' but fight goes on
-
UK PM launches bid to get rough sleepers off streets by Christmas
-
Japan target record medal haul at home Asian Games
-
England bowl against Pakistan in first Test of post-Bazball era
-
ICC says US sanctions 'flagrant attack' on court independence
-
Villa sign Japanese 'keeper Suzuki, Italian defender Ruggeri
-
Kyrgios admits 'huge mistake' after failing test for cocaine
-
Injury-plagued Pogba released by Monaco
-
Europe can't afford to miss AI revolution: ECB chief
-
Japanese 'keeper Suzuki signs for Aston Villa
-
Suthar shines as India crush Sri Lanka in 600th Test
Battle lines drawn over EU's next big budget
EU leaders had their swords already drawn when they plunged into intense discussions Friday over the 27-country bloc's next seven-year budget, with the usual frugal nations pushing to contain spending.
The European Commission last year proposed a budget of two trillion euros ($2.3 trillion) to pay for the bloc's operations, from farm subsidies to research funding, for the 2028-2034 period.
European Union leaders took stock of their own position on Friday during talks in Cyprus, as they scramble to approve the final budget by the end of 2026.
Many EU countries which have to chip in most of the money have made it clear they oppose what would represent a sizable increase on the current budget, paving the way for difficult talks.
The leaders of Germany and the Netherlands, countries belonging to the so-called "frugals", offered a stark message before heading into discussions with their EU counterparts in Nicosia.
German Chancellor Friedrich Merz ruled out higher debt -- pushed by France -- and said it was time for the EU to choose its battles.
"We will be setting new priorities. This means that we will also have to reduce spending in the European budget in other areas," he told reporters.
He was echoed by Dutch Prime Minister Rob Jetten, who said the budget amount proposed by the commission "needs to be significantly reduced".
It was "unacceptable" for the Netherlands, one of the largest contributors to the EU budget, to see its contribution "really explode", Jetten added.
- 'Compromise' needed -
Any final agreement on the long-term budget will come after what are expected to be tense talks between the EU parliament and member states.
With critical elections next year including in France, the EU wants to get a deal before 2027 to avoid among others, the possible risk of a far-right French government causing a bigger headache in getting a deal over the line.
The next EU budget proposed that the bloc start paying off tens of billions of euros a year of its coronavirus-era debts, but some EU lawmakers oppose this and would like a rollover.
They also want an EU-wide tax on the world's biggest tech companies.
"We cannot solve all the crises and the difficulties we are facing. We need new money to service old debt, and that is something that we will ask the member states to look at," parliament chief Roberta Metsola said in Nicosia.
Commission chief Ursula von der Leyen said it was "indispensable" for the EU to develop new tax-based revenue sources.
"Without them, the choice is stark. It's either higher national contributions or it's lower spending capacity," she told a press conference after talks.
Irish Prime Minister Micheal Martin, whose country will hold the rotating EU presidency from July after Cyprus, said he expected challenging negotiations.
"There will have to be compromise," he said. "Some think the budget is too high as it is. Others think it's not high enough."
But the clock is ticking, European Council President Antonio Costa warned.
"We have a collective responsibility to reach an agreement by the end of the year," Costa said after talks in Nicosia ended.
A.Anderson--AT