-
UK PM launches bid to help homeless, donating part of his wages
-
All Blacks must get 'everything right' to beat Springboks, says legend Fitzpatrick
-
Golden Shoe winner Kane hopes for Ballon d'Or after 'best season ever'
-
Robinson and Tongue star as Pakistan all out for 171 in England opener
-
Kyiv's ex-defence chief makes risky bet by venturing into electoral grounds
-
Lake Zurich sees water level hit record low amid drought
-
Coventry have survival inspiration says Lampard
-
Merck and Moderna's tailored cancer drug curbs melanoma recurrence in trial
-
Reijnders leaves Man City for Saudi's Al Qadsiah
-
Referees chief Webb wants clamp-down on Premier League set-piece grappling
-
Trump says will meet North Korea's Kim later this year
-
Robinson makes history as Pakistan collapse against England
-
Stocks waver, dollar drops as US Treasury moves to lower bond yields
-
Alvarez can win back Atletico fans in two games: club chief
-
France recalls rare disease drug Tavneos after deaths
-
Oldest human brain cells grown in lab 'recorded passage of time'
-
Arsenal agree to sign Villa defender Konsa: reports
-
7,300 excess deaths and counting in France's historically hot summer
-
Evacuation orders lifted in Belgian wildfire zone
-
Ukraine MPs approve new defence minister after divisive reshuffle
-
UK media skewered for 'hounding' black academic
-
North Korea leader's sister says 'unaware' of reported Kim-Trump communication
-
More than 7,300 excess deaths in France's historically hot summer so far
-
Russia, Ukraine exchange 103 captured soldiers each
-
US socialists score shock Florida win as Trump picks stumble
-
Sainz signs new contract with F1 team Williams
-
Iran warns Gulf countries against helping US after UAE cuts trade ties
-
Playing at Real Madrid 'not for everyone': Bernardo Silva
-
Senior FIFA official withdraws support from embattled Infantino
-
As election nears, Israelis fear polarisation could spark violence
-
Lawson replaces injured Hadjar for Red Bull at Dutch GP
-
Bayern's Hoeness 'speechless' after second Musiala collapse
-
Robots sort packages and serve fast food at Beijing showcase
-
Reijnders leaves Man City for Saudi's Al Qadsiah: source
-
Leeds sign Swiss defender Elvedi from Monchengladbach
-
Arsenal chief expects Arteta to sign new contract 'very shortly'
-
Robinson double rocks Pakistan in first Test before rain stops play
-
Oil rises, stocks waver amid tech sell-off
-
Queen Camilla says was 'difficult' keeping King Charles' cancer private
-
Belgian fire of the century 'encircled' but fight goes on
-
UK PM launches bid to get rough sleepers off streets by Christmas
-
Japan target record medal haul at home Asian Games
-
England bowl against Pakistan in first Test of post-Bazball era
-
ICC says US sanctions 'flagrant attack' on court independence
-
Villa sign Japanese 'keeper Suzuki, Italian defender Ruggeri
-
Kyrgios admits 'huge mistake' after failing test for cocaine
-
Injury-plagued Pogba released by Monaco
-
Europe can't afford to miss AI revolution: ECB chief
-
Japanese 'keeper Suzuki signs for Aston Villa
-
Suthar shines as India crush Sri Lanka in 600th Test
US says forces boarded tanker carrying Iranian oil
The US Defense Department said Thursday its forces boarded a vessel in the Indian Ocean that was transporting oil from Iran, as disruption from a stand-off with the Islamic republic continued to batter the world economy.
The announcement came hours after a senior Iranian official said the country had banked the first proceeds from tolls it is exacting on shipping through the Strait of Hormuz, a waterway that has become the focal point of the confrontation with the United States.
With planned peace talks hanging in the balance, more fuel-hungry airlines cancelled flights, oil prices opened higher and the keenly-watched S&P Global PMI index showed eurozone business activity shrinking for the first time in 16 months.
Iran vowed it would keep the strait closed to all but a trickle of approved vessels for as long as the United States blockaded its ports, brushing off demands from President Donald Trump to both reopen Hormuz and surrender its enriched uranium.
The US earlier this month responded by imposing its own blockade of Iranian ports, and on Thursday the Pentagon announced on X that US forces had "carried out a maritime interdiction and right-of-visit boarding of the sanctioned stateless vessel M/T Majestic X transporting oil from Iran, in the Indian Ocean".
The post included footage of US military personnel rappelling from helicopters onto the deck of a large tanker.
The statement said the US would "continue global maritime enforcement to disrupt illicit networks and interdict vessels providing material support to Iran, wherever they operate."
- 'Not possible' -
While strikes around the region have mostly ceased since the two-week-old truce began, there has been no letup in the confrontation over Hormuz, with both sides seeking economic leverage -- only for Trump to announce an indefinite ceasefire to create space for more talks.
"A complete ceasefire only has meaning if it is not violated through a naval blockade," said Iran's parliamentary speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf, who led Tehran's delegation at a first round of talks in Pakistan. "Reopening the Strait of Hormuz is not possible amid a blatant violation of the ceasefire."
Ghalibaf's deputy, Hamidreza Hajibabaei, said Iran received its first revenue from tolls it is imposing on ships seeking to cross Hormuz, a route that in peacetime accounts for a fifth of the world's oil and gas flows, and other vital commodities.
Analysts said Tehran, in particular its hardline leaders associated with the Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC), believes that Iran's blockade gives it sufficient economic leverage to force Washington to back down on its main demands in peace talks.
And some, such as Danny Citrinowicz of the Tel-Aviv Institute for National Security Studies, criticised Israel and the US for misreading the Iranian government's position.
"Tehran has consistently demonstrated a willingness to absorb economic pain while holding firm on what it views as core national interests. There is little reason to believe this time will be different," he said in a social media post.
"Rather than moving toward concession, Iran is positioning itself to escalate."
A brief from the Soufan Center think tank said Iran's hardliners "argue that a prolonged elevation of global energy prices and mounting global shortages of some goods will increasingly pressure Trump to accede to Iran's positions, end the war, and eventually withdraw US forces from the region.
"Trump and his team calculate the opposite -- that the US blockade of Iran's seaborne trade, which carries all of its oil exports, will quickly cripple Iran's economy and force Iran to accept US demands."
- Stalled negotiations -
On Wednesday, Trump told the New York Post that talks could resume in Pakistan within two to three days, even though Iran has not confirmed participation and Vice President JD Vance put his travel to Islamabad on hold on Tuesday.
In the Pakistani capital, blanket security remained in place for the fourth straight day in anticipation of possible talks, with transport disrupted and the city's government quarter and adjacent commercial centre all but shut down.
Schools in a so-called "Red Zone" remained shut and universities have shifted to distance learning, ahead of the planned arrivals of delegations from Washington and Tehran.
Iran's Revolutionary Guards on Wednesday said they forced two ships to the Iranian shore from the Strait of Hormuz.
They identified the vessels as the Panama-flagged container ship MSC Francesca and the Liberia-flagged Epaminondas.
UK-based maritime security monitors confirmed that three commercial vessels had reported incidents involving gunboats in the strait.
The US military's Central Command said, prior to Thursday's announcement, that its forces blockading Iran's ports during the ceasefire had so far "directed 31 vessels to turn around or return to port".
- Lebanon-Israel talks -
After agreeing the ceasefire with Iran, the United States helped broker a truce between Israel and Lebanon, including Hezbollah, the Iranian-backed movement that had fired rockets into Israel in revenge for the attacks on its patron.
Despite the declared truce, Israeli strikes killed five more people on Wednesday, Lebanese media said.
Israel and Lebanon will hold a second round of talks in Washington on Thursday, during which Beirut will request a one-month extension of the ceasefire during the meeting, according to a Lebanese official.
Israeli attacks on Lebanon have killed more than 2,450 people since the start of the war, according to Lebanese authorities.
burs/dc/ser/jsa
A.O.Scott--AT