-
McIlroy questions LIV stars 'value' as talk of PGA return builds
-
Honduras places 80% of country on El Nino drought alert
-
'Breakthrough' mRNA cancer drug curbs melanoma in large trial
-
Some of Meta's safety tools were 'designed to fail': witness
-
Many US Fed policymakers back interest rate hikes if inflation stays high
-
PSG Ligue 1 opener moved over state of Parc des Princes pitch
-
Robinson and Tongue star as Pakistan collapse in England opener
-
UK PM launches bid to help homeless, donating part of his wages
-
All Blacks must get 'everything right' to beat Springboks, says legend Fitzpatrick
-
Golden Shoe winner Kane hopes for Ballon d'Or after 'best season ever'
-
Robinson and Tongue star as Pakistan all out for 171 in England opener
-
Kyiv's ex-defence chief makes risky bet by venturing into electoral grounds
-
Lake Zurich sees water level hit record low amid drought
-
Coventry have survival inspiration says Lampard
-
Merck and Moderna's tailored cancer drug curbs melanoma recurrence in trial
-
Reijnders leaves Man City for Saudi's Al Qadsiah
-
Referees chief Webb wants clamp-down on Premier League set-piece grappling
-
Trump says will meet North Korea's Kim later this year
-
Robinson makes history as Pakistan collapse against England
-
Stocks waver, dollar drops as US Treasury moves to lower bond yields
-
Alvarez can win back Atletico fans in two games: club chief
-
France recalls rare disease drug Tavneos after deaths
-
Oldest human brain cells grown in lab 'recorded passage of time'
-
Arsenal agree to sign Villa defender Konsa: reports
-
7,300 excess deaths and counting in France's historically hot summer
-
Evacuation orders lifted in Belgian wildfire zone
-
Ukraine MPs approve new defence minister after divisive reshuffle
-
UK media skewered for 'hounding' black academic
-
North Korea leader's sister says 'unaware' of reported Kim-Trump communication
-
More than 7,300 excess deaths in France's historically hot summer so far
-
Russia, Ukraine exchange 103 captured soldiers each
-
US socialists score shock Florida win as Trump picks stumble
-
Sainz signs new contract with F1 team Williams
-
Iran warns Gulf countries against helping US after UAE cuts trade ties
-
Playing at Real Madrid 'not for everyone': Bernardo Silva
-
Senior FIFA official withdraws support from embattled Infantino
-
As election nears, Israelis fear polarisation could spark violence
-
Lawson replaces injured Hadjar for Red Bull at Dutch GP
-
Bayern's Hoeness 'speechless' after second Musiala collapse
-
Robots sort packages and serve fast food at Beijing showcase
-
Reijnders leaves Man City for Saudi's Al Qadsiah: source
-
Leeds sign Swiss defender Elvedi from Monchengladbach
-
Arsenal chief expects Arteta to sign new contract 'very shortly'
-
Robinson double rocks Pakistan in first Test before rain stops play
-
Oil rises, stocks waver amid tech sell-off
-
Queen Camilla says was 'difficult' keeping King Charles' cancer private
-
Belgian fire of the century 'encircled' but fight goes on
-
UK PM launches bid to get rough sleepers off streets by Christmas
-
Japan target record medal haul at home Asian Games
-
England bowl against Pakistan in first Test of post-Bazball era
Ships attacked in Gulf as Trump extends Iran ceasefire
Iranian gunboats attacked at least one container ship in the Strait of Hormuz on Wednesday, maritime agencies said, despite US President Donald Trump announcing he was extending a ceasefire to allow more time for peace talks.
The British maritime security monitor UKMTO said one container ship reported it was fired upon by an Iranian Revolutionary Guards (IRGC) boat 15 nautical miles northeast of Oman near the entrance to the strait, causing damage to the bridge bit no casualties.
The Iranian news agency Tasnim said the ship had "ignored warnings from Iran's armed forces", which are blockading the strategic waterway, but British security firm Vanguard Tech sad the vessel was sailing under a Liberian flag and "had been informed it had permission to transit the Strait of Hormuz".
Separately, another container ship eight nautical miles west of the Iranian coast was fired upon and stopped in the water, UKMTO said, without identifying the attackers. Vanguard identified it as the Panama-flagged containership Euphoria, which it said was "transiting outbound of the Strait of Hormuz".
The US Navy is attempting to block vessels heading to and from Iranian ports, while Tehran has said vessels must seek permission to leave of enter the Gulf through Hormuz, through a route that in peacetime accounts for a fifth of the world's oil and gas exports along with other vital commodities.
- 'Stateless and sanctioned' -
The US Defense Department said Tuesday that US forces had intercepted and boarded a "stateless sanctioned" vessel. AFP has identified the ship as one linked to Iranian activity. Both sides accuse the other of ceasefire breaches.
Before the latest attacks, Trump had said he had pushed back the end of the two-week truce following a request by Pakistani mediators and to give Iran's "fractured" leadership time to form a proposal.
The ceasefire has brought some respite to a region engulfed for weeks in war but, with no agreement yet in place, uncertainty remains and brought little relief to global markets.
Trump said the US blockade of Iran's ports would continue, while Pakistani mediators try to revive a dialogue. Iran has all but shut the strait in the seven weeks since the United States and Israel launched a massive attack on the Islamic republic that plunged the Middle East into war.
Residents in the Iranian capital who spoke to Paris-based AFP journalists said life had worsened despite the truce.
"This cursed ceasefire has broken us," said Saghar, 39. "I don't know anyone around me who is doing well."
Oil prices fell, along with stocks, on Wednesday as investors assessed the chances of US-Iran peace talks.
- Pakistan talks? -
Britain and other US allies have previously told Washington they would not join any military effort to forcibly reopen Hormuz.
But, with a truce now in place, albeit temporary, the British defence ministry said it would host two days of UK-France led talks on the waterway involving more than 30 countries starting Wednesday.
The fate of peace talks hosted by Pakistan remains unclear. A previous round collapsed with Tehran accusing the United States of making excessive demands on Hormuz and its nuclear programme.
A White House official confirmed that Vice President JD Vance would not travel to Pakistan for a new round of negotiations as previously planned, pending the submission of an Iranian proposal.
Iran, on the other hand, said never announced whether it had decided to send a delegation, with experts saying its noncommittal was a way to put pressure on the Trump administration.
Pakistani Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif thanked Trump for extending the ceasefire. UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres also welcomed the move.
In Lebanon, which was also plunged into war when Hezbollah launched rockets at Israel to avenge its killing of Iran's supreme leader, an Israeli strike killed one person and wounded two others on Wednesday, Lebanese state media said.
- 'Blatant violations' -
A separate 10-day ceasefire was agreed between the two nations on Friday and included Hezbollah.
But the militant group on Tuesday said it had launched rockets and attack drones at northern Israel in response to "blatant" ceasefire violations, which it said included "attacks on civilians and the destruction of their homes and villages".
The Israeli military said that day that Hezbollah "launched several rockets" towards soldiers still stationed in south Lebanon and that the military struck the launcher in response.
Israel and Lebanon, which have no diplomatic relations, will hold fresh talks in Washington on Thursday, a State Department official told AFP.
Israeli attacks on Lebanon have killed at least 2,454 people since the start of the war, a Lebanese government body said in its latest toll.
burs/dc/ser
F.Ramirez--AT