-
Manifesto defends Germany's iconic Bauhaus against 'populist attacks'
-
Walmart reports mixed results as gas prices drag on US sales growth
-
Kenya's Kipyegon ends season with hamstring injury
-
Wang downs Sindhu to break Indian hearts at badminton worlds
-
Nord Stream bomb suspect arrested while working on movie about attack: media
-
As Europe's rivers recede, shippers scramble to limit damage
-
German football fans plan widespread VAR protests
-
Alonso won't confirm Fernandez will remain at Chelsea after Man City link
-
Scorching summer triggers record rockfalls in Alps, scientist says
-
Milky Way's fastest star discovered spinning around black hole
-
Newly-crowned European champ Werro turns focus on 800m record
-
Kanye West planned concerts trigger frenzy in Russia
-
Hamilton 'fittest ever' as he chases eighth F1 title
-
Hungary music festival basks in post-Orban freedom
-
Stocks retreat as bond yield fears persist, oil rises
-
Vatican says 'serious concerns' over Israel-Lebanon deal implementation
-
ARKBRIDGE’s David Mali Highlights AI-Driven Risk Management at the Finance Magnates London Summit
-
Arteta confirms Arsenal want to sign defender after Konsa link
-
Zuckerberg buys Gothic castle in Ireland: spokesman
-
What's behind the UAE's decision to cut Iran trade ties?
-
Belgium's fire of the century now 'under control'
-
Barca seal Cancelo return to bolster defence
-
Evergrande's Xu Jiayin: from real-estate tycoon to life in prison
-
Germany reports record 14,000 heat-related deaths this summer
-
Spurs eyeing move for Man City's Savinho and Marmoush - reports
-
Alvarez 'focused' says new Atletico team-mate Romero
-
Springboks captain Kolisi to miss first All Blacks Test
-
West Ham warn fans about 'offensive' Solomon chant
-
Japan to launch probe for Mars moons in October: space agency
-
Huge questions loom over Prince Harry's shock return to UK
-
From beach to Bulls: relaxed Tsunoda savours rare F1 drive
-
BYDFi Joins Coinfest Asia 2026, Connecting with Institutions, Builders and Traders in Bali
-
Prince Harry: key dates in life of returning UK royal
-
Max Verstappen: Natural-born winner
-
North Korea launches missiles, Seoul says, after Trump floats Kim meet
-
Van Dijk urges Liverpool to make amends for 'unacceptable' season
-
Oil jumps on Iran war tensions, offsetting bond yield fears
-
All Blacks replace Tuipulotu with Holland for Springboks Test
-
Germany identifies far-right suspect in deadly 1970 antisemitic attack
-
Rain delays start of second day's play in England-Pakistan opener
-
PrimeXBT Expands Swap-Free Trading to PXTrader 2.0
-
Russian strikes kill 16 in Kyiv, surrounding region
-
Record number of locations in France top 40C over summer: AFP analysis
-
'It is tough': Indonesia battles wildfires, bracing for worse to come
-
Trump pledges 'economic warfare' on Iran, prompting Tehran derision
-
Seoul detects North Korean missile launches after Trump says to meet Kim
-
'Girl with a Pearl Earring' in Japan, perhaps for the last time
-
Thai, Myanmar military chiefs meet as post-coup thaw progresses
-
Russian strikes kill 13 in Kyiv, surrounding region
-
Asian stocks rally as US Treasury steps in to ease bond fears
More to IOC gender testing than appeasing Trump: ex-IOC executive
The International Olympic Committee's new policy on gender testing could be seen as "smart positioning" given the current US political climate but a former IOC marketing executive has told AFP he did not believe it was the "driving factor".
The IOC on Thursday announced the re-introduction of gender testing to determine eligibility to compete in women's events, an issue which caused a furore in the boxing at the 2024 Paris Olympics.
They say only "biological females" can compete in women's events.
The decision was welcomed by US President Donald Trump, who last year issued an executive order banning transgender athletes from women's sport.
The next Summer Games are in Los Angeles in 2028.
"With the current US political climate, a cynic might say that removing this pressure point before 2028 was smart positioning," said former IOC executive Terrence Burns.
"But I don't think that was the driving factor."
The IOC decision comes just over a year after Kirsty Coventry became the first woman to be elected IOC president, succeeding Thomas Bach.
Whereas Bach brought in a policy in 2021 that left individual federations to decide their own regulations, the IOC is now introducing a blanket policy across all Olympic sports.
Coventry had made resolving the thorny issue a priority after the 2024 Paris Games were rocked by a gender row involving women boxers Imane Khelif if Algeria and Taiwan's Lin Yu-ting.
Khelif and Lin were excluded from the International Boxing Association's 2023 world championships after the IBA said they had failed eligibility tests.
However, the IOC allowed them both to compete at the Paris Games, saying they had been victims of "a sudden and arbitrary decision by the IBA".
Both boxers went on to win gold medals.
While Burns said the IOC had "drawn a line under" the issue with the new policy, his fellow former IOC marketing executive Michael Payne told AFP that Coventry had "moved actively and decisively".
"There was mounting pressure to protect the principle of female sports competition," he said.
"For all the honourable reasons about human rights, (that) everyone's right to compete no matter their biological make-up, you could not disenfranchise 99.99 percent of the population to address an issue of 0.01 percent."
- 'Reputational drag' -
The reintroduction of the testing for the SRY gene was not music to the ears of the scientist who discovered it, Andrew Sinclair.
He said ahead of the IOC announcement that the idea that the biological sex be entirely defined by chromosomes is "overly simplistic".
Sinclair was among the experts who persuaded the IOC to drop the tests before the 2000 Sydney Olympics, and he said "it is therefore extremely surprising years later there is an ill-advised move to reintroduce it."
"Sinclair's scepticism is real and any legal challenge will use it," said Burns.
"But governing bodies rarely have perfect science, they have the best available tools and a decision that can't wait.
"The IOC's honest answer is that precautionary governance under uncertainty is still governance.
"Doing nothing wasn't an option."
Payne, whose self-deprecatory warts-and-all book "Fast Tracks and Dark Deals" about his time at the IOC under Juan Antonio Samaranch Senior caused a stir last year within the movement, is not sure how much weight Sinclair's views will carry.
"Is there a single subject where all scientists can agree on the same solution?" said the 68-year-old Irishman.
"The science and circumstances, and public opinion evolve."
Both Burns and Payne believe there will be legal challenges, with Payne saying it is "the nature of the society we live in today" but he added that "sport has to be governed by rules".
"The IOC sets the rules, albeit guided by some of the best science available," said Payne.
Burns, who since leaving the IOC has been a pivotal figure in five successful Olympic bid city campaigns, says the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) is well used to such cases.
"The IOC's best protection is a clean governance record, policy grounded in competitive fairness, applied consistently, documented thoroughly." he said.
"Human rights arguments will be made, but courts have generally respected sporting body jurisdiction when the process is defensible."
For Burns, "the bigger risk isn't losing in court".
"It's the reputational drag of fighting cases through an Olympic cycle," he said.
W.Stewart--AT