-
Man Utd agree deal for Brighton midfielder Baleba: reports
-
US, Canada push to seal trade deal as deadline nears
-
Werro wins Lausanne 800m, well off world record pace
-
One dead, three wounded after sword attack at Swedish high school
-
China mulls bid to host 2028 UN climate talks: sources
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 15
-
Jones becomes third Englishman to join Inter this summer
-
US Supreme Court allows White House ballroom construction for now
-
Mexican governor wanted on US drug charges returns to job
-
Root hails emerging fast bowlers as England thrash Pakistan
-
Bolivia's Paz forced to fire economy minister in mid-crisis
-
Brazil's Lula urges tariffs resolution in call with Trump
-
A-Rod ups T-Wolves stake in $4.5bn ownership change
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 14
-
UK court orders Prince Harry, others to pay Daily Mail initial £9.5mn
-
Heatwave-hit Europe logs over 30,000 excess summer deaths: first figures
-
'Grateful' ex-world champion Alaphilippe retires from cycling
-
Give LIV Golf 'one more shot,' says DeChambeau
-
US, Canada work to wrap up trade deal ahead of looming deadline
-
Duplantis hits the high notes for athletics anthem
-
Malaysia's JDT claim unbeaten run world record
-
Malaysia's JDT claims unbeaten run world record
-
At least 2 teens seriously wounded in sword attack at Swedish school
-
Bolivian economy minister fired after Congress vote
-
Popular forest near Paris to reopen after wildfire
-
Russell roars to Dutch GP sprint pole, Antonelli fifth
-
UN holds second informal poll of secretary-general candidates
-
Russell takes pole for Dutch GP sprint
-
Shakhtar Donetsk to play Champions League home games at Chelsea
-
England start life after Bazball with rout of Pakistan
-
Arsenal sign Villa centre-back Konsa as champions bolster defence
-
'Duck run' pest control catching on in S.Africa's winelands
-
The 'hedgehogs' leading Poland's defences on Russian border
-
UK, Canada, Australia slam Israel ending probe into aid worker killings
-
England thrash Pakistan by an innings and 103 runs in first Test
-
Spurs spending spree vital to raise standards: De Zerbi
-
Fury says Joshua fight 'doesn't look like it's going to happen'
-
US, Canada try to wrap up trade deal before latest Trump deadline
-
Argentina's Paredes suspended 10 matches by FIFA for World Cup fight
-
World No.1 Sinner withdraws from US Open with knee injury
-
Watkins and Martinez could join Villa exodus says Emery
-
Judge allows UK rugby brain injury court case to continue to trial
-
UK court orders Prince Harry, others to pay Daily Mail £9.5mn
-
Trump announces temporary tariff relief on ground beef imports
-
Aligned Launches $ALIGN, the Native Token of Its Full Ethereum Stack
-
Pope to visit San Marino, address Italian political event
-
Bitcoin jumps, stocks bounce as traders weigh US Treasury action
-
All Blacks just as good as Springboks, says captain Savea
-
Man City boss Maresca hit with Doku injury blow
-
Romania holding suspected 'low-level agent' after pistols found near Berlin: Germany
US and Israel launch strikes on Iran, explosions reported across region
The United States and Israel launched strikes against Iran on Saturday, with Israel's public broadcaster reporting that supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei had been targeted, as the Islamic republic retaliated with barrages of missiles at Gulf states and Israel.
Explosions were heard in the capitals of Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Qatar and the UAE -- all countries that host US forces.
Blasts were also reported in the skies over Jerusalem after the Israeli military said a "barrage of missiles was launched" towards the country.
The US and Israeli attacks followed weeks of sabre-rattling and a major American military build-up in the Middle East, with Iran repeatedly threatening to react fiercely to any attack and warning of a conflict that would engulf the region.
Smoke was rising over Tehran's Pasteur district, site of the home of Khamenei, and there was a huge security deployment in the capital.
"Iranian Supreme Leader Khamenei and President Masoud Pezeshkian were among the targets of the attack," Israel's Kan reported, citing an Israeli source.
Iranian state television said Pezeshkian was "safe and sound", while the Fars news agency said "missile impacts were reported in the Keshvardoost and Pasteur districts" of Tehran.
Witnesses told AFP correspondents they had heard at least three blasts in the area.
The attacks came after US President Donald Trump expressed frustration at Iran's stance in negotiations over its nuclear and missile programmes.
Trump said Washington's goal was "eliminating imminent threats" from Iran, and Israel's Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said the operation was to remove an "existential threat".
"The United States' military began major combat operations in Iran," Trump said in a video message posted on his social media site while he spent the weekend at his Florida golf club.
- Totally 'obliterated' -
"We are going to destroy their missiles and raze their missile industry to the ground. It will be totally, again, obliterated. We're going to annihilate their navy," Trump said, warning of the possibility of US casualties.
He offered Iranian forces including the Revolutionary Guards "immunity" should they surrender, or "certain death" if not, and told Iranians the "hour of your freedom is at hand", urging them to rise up and "take over your government".
Israel's Netanyahu echoed this call, telling Iranians that the time had come to "cast off the yoke of tyranny".
The Israeli army warned Iranians in or around military infrastructure across Iran to evacuate after announcing it was conducting a "broad strike" on multiple military targets.
Iran again vowed to "respond decisively to the aggressors", and the Guards announced they had targeted the US Fifth Fleet in Bahrain as well as targets in Israel.
"The IRGC's missiles and drones have struck the headquarters of the US Navy's Fifth Fleet in Bahrain and other American bases in Qatar and the United Arab Emirates, as well as military and security centres in the heart of the occupied territories, with severe blows," the Guards said in a statement.
"I saw with my own eyes two Tomahawk missiles flying horizontally toward targets," an office worker told AFP on condition of anonymity. "At first we heard a dull noise and thought it was a fighter jet."
In Tehran, AFP journalists heard blasts and saw smoke rising over the city centre. The health ministry said ambulances had been dispatched but there was no immediate confirmation of casualties.
Iran, Iraq, Kuwait, Syria, the UAE and Israel all closed their airspaces to civilian traffic, at least in part, and a number of airlines cancelled flights to the Middle East. US embassies in the Gulf urged American citizens to take shelter.
- Blasts and sirens -
Blasts were heard over Jerusalem after air raid sirens sounded, with sirens also heard in Bahrain, home to a US fleet, and in the Jordanian capital Amman.
Jordan's air force said it was conducting an operation "to defend the kingdom's skies".
Explosions were also heard over central Doha and near Al-Udeid military base, the largest US military facility in the region, and an AFP journalist saw an interceptor take out one missile in a puff of white smoke, as Qatar's defence ministry said in a statement it had "repelled a number of attacks".
Kuwait and the UAE also reported intercepting incoming Iranian missiles, with Abu Dhabi saying it "reserves its full right to respond" and slamming the attacks as "a dangerous escalation".
A bombing that targeted an Iraqi military base housing a pro-Iran group killed at least two fighters, sources from the powerful group Kataeb Hezbollah told AFP.
With the strikes underway, the exiled son of Iran's last shah voiced confidence in victory against the Islamic republic.
"We are very close to final victory. I want to be by your side as soon as possible so that together we can take back and rebuild Iran," Reza Pahlavi, who lives in the Washington area, said in an online video address.
burs-dc/smw/ser
O.Brown--AT