-
Man Utd agree deal for Brighton midfielder Baleba: reports
-
US, Canada push to seal trade deal as deadline nears
-
Werro wins Lausanne 800m, well off world record pace
-
One dead, three wounded after sword attack at Swedish high school
-
China mulls bid to host 2028 UN climate talks: sources
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 15
-
Jones becomes third Englishman to join Inter this summer
-
US Supreme Court allows White House ballroom construction for now
-
Mexican governor wanted on US drug charges returns to job
-
Root hails emerging fast bowlers as England thrash Pakistan
-
Bolivia's Paz forced to fire economy minister in mid-crisis
-
Brazil's Lula urges tariffs resolution in call with Trump
-
A-Rod ups T-Wolves stake in $4.5bn ownership change
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 14
-
UK court orders Prince Harry, others to pay Daily Mail initial £9.5mn
-
Heatwave-hit Europe logs over 30,000 excess summer deaths: first figures
-
'Grateful' ex-world champion Alaphilippe retires from cycling
-
Give LIV Golf 'one more shot,' says DeChambeau
-
US, Canada work to wrap up trade deal ahead of looming deadline
-
Duplantis hits the high notes for athletics anthem
-
Malaysia's JDT claim unbeaten run world record
-
Malaysia's JDT claims unbeaten run world record
-
At least 2 teens seriously wounded in sword attack at Swedish school
-
Bolivian economy minister fired after Congress vote
-
Popular forest near Paris to reopen after wildfire
-
Russell roars to Dutch GP sprint pole, Antonelli fifth
-
UN holds second informal poll of secretary-general candidates
-
Russell takes pole for Dutch GP sprint
-
Shakhtar Donetsk to play Champions League home games at Chelsea
-
England start life after Bazball with rout of Pakistan
-
Arsenal sign Villa centre-back Konsa as champions bolster defence
-
'Duck run' pest control catching on in S.Africa's winelands
-
The 'hedgehogs' leading Poland's defences on Russian border
-
UK, Canada, Australia slam Israel ending probe into aid worker killings
-
England thrash Pakistan by an innings and 103 runs in first Test
-
Spurs spending spree vital to raise standards: De Zerbi
-
Fury says Joshua fight 'doesn't look like it's going to happen'
-
US, Canada try to wrap up trade deal before latest Trump deadline
-
Argentina's Paredes suspended 10 matches by FIFA for World Cup fight
-
World No.1 Sinner withdraws from US Open with knee injury
-
Watkins and Martinez could join Villa exodus says Emery
-
Judge allows UK rugby brain injury court case to continue to trial
-
UK court orders Prince Harry, others to pay Daily Mail £9.5mn
-
Trump announces temporary tariff relief on ground beef imports
-
Aligned Launches $ALIGN, the Native Token of Its Full Ethereum Stack
-
Pope to visit San Marino, address Italian political event
-
Bitcoin jumps, stocks bounce as traders weigh US Treasury action
-
All Blacks just as good as Springboks, says captain Savea
-
Man City boss Maresca hit with Doku injury blow
-
Romania holding suspected 'low-level agent' after pistols found near Berlin: Germany
Canada optimistic North American free trade pact will survive
The Canadian official responsible for US trade voiced optimism Thursday about the future of a North American free trade agreement, a pact derided by President Donald Trump and set for review this year.
Dominic LeBlanc, Ottawa's minister for Canada-US trade, also cast doubt on the notion that Trump could ditch the agreement entirely, something the president has reportedly weighed as tension with Canada has mounted.
"I'm not pessimistic about the trilateral framework renewing," LeBlanc told the Canadian Club of Toronto, referring to the United States-Mexico-Canada agreement, which Trump signed and praised during his first term.
LeBlanc noted that when Trump announced new global tariffs last week to replace the levies invalidated by the US Supreme Court, the White House swiftly confirmed USMCA compliant goods would remain tariff exempt.
"They're doing that because it's in the American economic interest to do that," LeBlanc said.
- 'Not a renegotiation' -
Under the originally agreed terms, the USMCA is to be reviewed in July.
Trump has called the deal "irrelevant" and said it was offering "no real advantage" to the United States.
US media have reported that he is considering scrapping the deal while seeking a separate arrangement with Mexico, a plan that has reportedly gained momentum since Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney delivered a searing critique of US leadership at the World Economic Forum last month.
"The review is not a renegotiation," LeBlanc said, underscoring that the deal does not expire until 2036.
"If there's no consensus in the review, the agreement continues on."
LeBlanc also said that Trump's dismissive rhetoric about the USMCA does not match his trade team's posture.
"There is a public prosecution of the argument, the political argument, in the United States, and there are the private government to government to government conversations which are not discouraging."
LeBlanc said he expected to meet with US Trade Representative Jamieson Greer in Washington next week and believed the United States was ready to be specific about their desired USMCA adjustments.
"We're ready for those conversations," he told the Canadian Club.
Free trade with the United States is crucial to the Canadian economy.
Trump's sector specific tariffs targetings autos, steel, aluminum and lumber have caused significant economic pain in Canada.
But Trump's broad adherence to the USMCA has left about 85 percent of two-way trade tariff-free, sparing Canada from crippling economic turmoil.
Carney was flying to India on Thursday to seek closer trade ties, as part of his strategy to backstop Canada's economy should free trade with the US collapse.
M.O.Allen--AT