-
Arteta hails Arsenal's desire after perfect start to title defence
-
TikTok to pay $400 mn settlement in US children's privacy case
-
Betis down Real Sociedad in La Liga opener
-
MLS fines Messi for striking an opponent
-
Mexican governor resumes job despite US drug charges
-
Gouiri double fires Marseille past Strasbourg in Ligue 1 opener
-
Arsenal rout Coventry to open Premier League season in style
-
Mavericks buy out Thompson, now reportedly bound for Heat
-
Giant-killer Bejlek overhauls Keys to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
England v Pakistan first Test: Three talking points
-
Man Utd agree deal for Brighton midfielder Baleba: reports
-
US, Canada push to seal trade deal as deadline nears
-
Werro wins Lausanne 800m, well off world record pace
-
One dead, three wounded after sword attack at Swedish high school
-
China mulls bid to host 2028 UN climate talks: sources
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 15
-
Jones becomes third Englishman to join Inter this summer
-
US Supreme Court allows White House ballroom construction for now
-
Mexican governor wanted on US drug charges returns to job
-
Root hails emerging fast bowlers as England thrash Pakistan
-
Bolivia's Paz forced to fire economy minister in mid-crisis
-
Brazil's Lula urges tariffs resolution in call with Trump
-
A-Rod ups T-Wolves stake in $4.5bn ownership change
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 14
-
UK court orders Prince Harry, others to pay Daily Mail initial £9.5mn
-
Heatwave-hit Europe logs over 30,000 excess summer deaths: first figures
-
'Grateful' ex-world champion Alaphilippe retires from cycling
-
Give LIV Golf 'one more shot,' says DeChambeau
-
US, Canada work to wrap up trade deal ahead of looming deadline
-
Duplantis hits the high notes for athletics anthem
-
Malaysia's JDT claim unbeaten run world record
-
Malaysia's JDT claims unbeaten run world record
-
At least 2 teens seriously wounded in sword attack at Swedish school
-
Bolivian economy minister fired after Congress vote
-
Popular forest near Paris to reopen after wildfire
-
Russell roars to Dutch GP sprint pole, Antonelli fifth
-
UN holds second informal poll of secretary-general candidates
-
Russell takes pole for Dutch GP sprint
-
Shakhtar Donetsk to play Champions League home games at Chelsea
-
England start life after Bazball with rout of Pakistan
-
Arsenal sign Villa centre-back Konsa as champions bolster defence
-
'Duck run' pest control catching on in S.Africa's winelands
-
The 'hedgehogs' leading Poland's defences on Russian border
-
UK, Canada, Australia slam Israel ending probe into aid worker killings
-
England thrash Pakistan by an innings and 103 runs in first Test
-
Spurs spending spree vital to raise standards: De Zerbi
-
Fury says Joshua fight 'doesn't look like it's going to happen'
-
US, Canada try to wrap up trade deal before latest Trump deadline
-
Argentina's Paredes suspended 10 matches by FIFA for World Cup fight
-
World No.1 Sinner withdraws from US Open with knee injury
Warner Bros. 'reviewing' new takeover bid from Paramount
Warner Bros. Discovery said Tuesday it has received a revised acquisition proposal from Paramount Skydance, even as the US media giant's board reaffirmed its support for a previously announced buyout deal with Netflix.
The sweetened offer was the latest instalment of a bidding war set to reshape Hollywood and US media, and has drawn White House attention, with President Donald Trump insisting he will have a say on the deal.
"We received a revised (Paramount) proposal to acquire WBD, which we are reviewing in consultation with our financial and legal advisors," the Warner Bros. board said, adding it would update shareholders once the review was complete.
Terms of Paramount's new offer were not disclosed, and the Warner Bros. board was careful to signal its preference for the rival Netflix deal.
The deal with the streaming giant "remains in effect" and directors "continue to recommend in favor of the Netflix transaction," the statement said.
Warner Bros. shareholders were advised to take no action with respect to the Paramount offer while the review is ongoing.
Paramount also confirmed the proposal and acknowledged that its sweetened bid could be countered by Netflix if the Warner Bros. board formally declared that Paramount's offer is a "superior proposal."
In its previous bid, Paramount Skydance had sought to buy all of Warner Bros. Discovery for $108 billion.
Though that was rebuffed by Warner's board, Paramount on Tuesday said it was still encouraging shareholders to back its offer, in what amounts to a hostile takeover attempt.
Paramount has also launched a lawsuit against Warner Bros. over an alleged lack of transparency in its dealings with Netflix.
Netflix is offering $83 billion for its more limited merger but is expected to be prepared to raise its offer to more closely match its rival's new bid.
The Netflix offer does not include Warner Bros. television properties such as CNN and Discovery, which would belong to a newly created publicly traded company if the deal is sealed.
Trump has said he will be "involved" in any decision on the merger, and the US Department of Justice is currently reviewing Netflix's proposed acquisition. European authorities and other regulators will also have their say.
Questions are swirling over whether politics will influence the outcome of the battle, with Paramount run by David Ellison and financed largely by his father, Oracle tycoon Larry Ellison, a longtime Trump ally.
A victory by Paramount would see CNN -- often the target of Trump's stinging threats and criticism -- pass to Ellison family control, amid criticism that their takeover of Paramount-owned CBS brought changes to the news division more to the White House's liking.
Trump late Saturday called on Netflix to fire board member Susan Rice or "pay the consequences," after she said Democrats would push for corporate accountability if they regain power in the November midterm elections.
"He likes to do a lot of things on social media. This is a business deal. It's not a political deal," Netflix co-CEO Ted Sarandos told BBC Radio 4, when asked about Trump's threat.
H.Thompson--AT