-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
-
Arteta hails Arsenal's desire after perfect start to title defence
-
TikTok to pay $400 mn settlement in US children's privacy case
-
Betis down Real Sociedad in La Liga opener
-
MLS fines Messi for striking an opponent
-
Mexican governor resumes job despite US drug charges
-
Gouiri double fires Marseille past Strasbourg in Ligue 1 opener
-
Arsenal rout Coventry to open Premier League season in style
-
Mavericks buy out Thompson, now reportedly bound for Heat
-
Giant-killer Bejlek overhauls Keys to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
England v Pakistan first Test: Three talking points
-
Man Utd agree deal for Brighton midfielder Baleba: reports
-
US, Canada push to seal trade deal as deadline nears
-
Werro wins Lausanne 800m, well off world record pace
-
One dead, three wounded after sword attack at Swedish high school
-
China mulls bid to host 2028 UN climate talks: sources
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 15
-
Jones becomes third Englishman to join Inter this summer
-
US Supreme Court allows White House ballroom construction for now
-
Mexican governor wanted on US drug charges returns to job
-
Root hails emerging fast bowlers as England thrash Pakistan
-
Bolivia's Paz forced to fire economy minister in mid-crisis
-
Brazil's Lula urges tariffs resolution in call with Trump
-
A-Rod ups T-Wolves stake in $4.5bn ownership change
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 14
-
UK court orders Prince Harry, others to pay Daily Mail initial £9.5mn
-
Heatwave-hit Europe logs over 30,000 excess summer deaths: first figures
-
'Grateful' ex-world champion Alaphilippe retires from cycling
-
Give LIV Golf 'one more shot,' says DeChambeau
-
US, Canada work to wrap up trade deal ahead of looming deadline
-
Duplantis hits the high notes for athletics anthem
-
Malaysia's JDT claim unbeaten run world record
-
Malaysia's JDT claims unbeaten run world record
-
At least 2 teens seriously wounded in sword attack at Swedish school
-
Bolivian economy minister fired after Congress vote
-
Popular forest near Paris to reopen after wildfire
-
Russell roars to Dutch GP sprint pole, Antonelli fifth
-
UN holds second informal poll of secretary-general candidates
-
Russell takes pole for Dutch GP sprint
-
Shakhtar Donetsk to play Champions League home games at Chelsea
-
England start life after Bazball with rout of Pakistan
-
Arsenal sign Villa centre-back Konsa as champions bolster defence
-
'Duck run' pest control catching on in S.Africa's winelands
-
The 'hedgehogs' leading Poland's defences on Russian border
-
UK, Canada, Australia slam Israel ending probe into aid worker killings
-
England thrash Pakistan by an innings and 103 runs in first Test
-
Spurs spending spree vital to raise standards: De Zerbi
Panama takes control of canal ports from CK Hutchison
Panamanian maritime authorities took control Monday of two ports on the Panama Canal from CK Hutchison after the Hong Kong-based conglomerate's concession was annulled following pressure from the United States.
"The Panama Maritime Authority has taken possession of its ports and guarantees the continuity of operations," an official said after the Panamanian Supreme Court annulled Hutchison's contracts to operate the ports.
The court ruling was the latest legal move to ricochet through the interoceanic waterway which handles about 40 percent of US container traffic and five percent of world trade.
The Central American country has been swept up in broader tensions between Washington and Beijing, with US President Donald Trump claiming last year that China effectively runs the Panama Canal.
In January, the court had declared as "unconstitutional" the contract which had allowed Hutchison to manage the ports of Balboa on the Pacific and Cristobal on the Atlantic since 1997.
Hutchison had asked the Panamanian government to enter into negotiations to allow it to continue operating the two terminals, and on Friday a company spokesperson said such talks were necessary to "avoid chaos."
Publication of the ruling in the official gazette Monday effectively finalized the legal process, and the decision is not subject to appeal. The measure was formalized by a decree after publication in the gazette.
"The Panama Maritime Authority has taken possession of its ports and guarantees the continuity of operations," ports director Max Florez told reporters.
He said an 18-month transition period now begins, with the ports being operated by two other companies before contracts are awarded under a new international tender.
Labor Minister Jackeline Munoz assured there would be "no layoffs" at the two terminals, which employ some 1,200 people.
Following the court's January ruling, the Panama Maritime Authority said a division of the Danish Maersk Group would temporarily take over operation of the facilities.
Last week Hutchison warned of possible legal action against Maersk and others over the annulment of its contract. And the Hong Kong company has said it would challenge Panama's decision before the International Chamber of Commerce.
The Panama Canal was built by the United States, which operated it for a century before ceding control to Panama in 1999.
Panama has always denied Chinese control over the 80-kilometer (50-mile) waterway, which is used mainly by the United States and China.
M.O.Allen--AT