-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
-
Pope visits San Marino, before addressing Italian political gathering
-
Australia lead by 101 in 2nd Bangladesh Test as 18 wickets fall on day one
-
Trump tariffs heap up as Canada tries to curb US reliance
-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
Appeals court to review UK judge sparing teen rapists jail
An appeals court will review a British judge's decision to spare three teenagers jail after they were convicted of rape, the UK attorney general said Tuesday, following public outcry over the case.
A judge at Southampton Crown Court, in southern England, last week handed two 15-year-old boys non-custodial sentences for together raping two girls in 2024 and January 2025 and sharing video of the attacks online.
He also spared a 14-year-old boy prison time after he was convicted of two rape charges for encouraging the second defendant in last year's incident and an indecent images offence.
Judge Nicholas Rowland said at Thursday's hearing he wanted to "avoid criminalising these children unnecessarily".
However, the sentences provoked a severe backlash, and after several days' consideration, Attorney General Richard Hermer -- the government's chief legal adviser -- decided to refer them to the Court of Appeal in London for potentially being "unduly lenient".
"There has understandably been a huge amount of public interest, and concern, at this horrific case," he said in a statement.
"I directed my officials to work urgently, to allow me to consider this decision swiftly, and to begin to bring closure to the victims and their families."
His office added: "The Court of Appeal will now decide whether the sentence imposed was unduly lenient, and whether to increase the existing sentence."
Prime Minister Keir Starmer told broadcasters Tuesday that this was "clearly the right outcome".
Saying he found the case "distressing as a politician" and "as a father", the British leader praised the "courage" of the victims, one of whom spoke out against the sentences in a high-profile interview.
- 'Deeply shocked' -
The teenager, who was 15 at the time of the attack, told the BBC on Sunday he judge's sentencing remarks about avoiding criminalising the perpetrators "hit like a rock straight in my face".
"He (the judge) almost made it seem as if what the boys did was not OK, but it was OK in the eyes of the law because they were still children," she said.
French rape survivor Gisele Pelicot joined the chorus of criticism while visiting Britain.
She told the BBC on Tuesday she was "deeply shocked that these individuals were in fact able to gain their freedom again when in fact the victims are suffering so hard they will never be able to heal".
Pelicot has become a global symbol in the fight against sexual violence after she waived her right to anonymity during the 2024 trial of her ex-husband and dozens of strangers who raped her while she was unconscious.
The Court of Appeal will now consider whether the judge made a "gross error" under a legal scheme set up for cases where the attorney general suspects sentences are unduly lenient.
Rowland handed each of the 15-year-old boys a three-year youth rehabilitation order and 180 days of so-called intensive supervision and surveillance, after they were convicted of rape and taking indecent images.
M.Robinson--AT